Hope you guys can help me...

I used to use a 5th gen Airport Extreme as a router at home, but recently moved and now get internet from a new provider. Its a 60 MB cable connection, and it came with a Netgear C6250 modem/router. The Netgear has 802.11AC wifi, which my Macbook Air also has. But... Now I'm not sure as to how I should set up my network...

Run everything through the Netgear? Use the Netgear as a modem, and run the network using the Airport as a router? Or maybe just use the Netgear for my Macbook Air, and run the rest of the network through the Airport?

I/we have the following devices:

* Netgear 102 NAS (Connected with a LAN cable. I like to use it for storing movies/files, playing movies and for Time Machine backup.)
    * An Apple TV (Connected with a LAN cable)
    * Wii U
    * Old Wintel PC (That can run on a separate DSL connection, and does so much of the time)
    * 2011 iMac (I'm inclined to run this with a LAN cable)
    * 2014 Macbook Air (I think thats the only device that has 802.11 AC)
    * iPad Air
    * iPad mini 2
    * iPad mini
    * iPad 2
    * iPhone 5s
    * Nokia Lumia 520
    * Nintendo 3DS (This isn't on the network that often)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on how I should set up my home network, which router to use and how, and if I have the right devices using a LAN cable rather than wifi would be greatly appreciated!
    01-25-2015 10:07 AM
    Which AirPort Extreme is the fifth generation one? If it's the tall rather than flat one, it does have wifi ac.
    Anyway I always use the LAN/Ethernet to connect anything I can. So I would agree with you that you should continue to do so.
    I would say that if you have the tall AirPort Extreme just stick with that because you are probably already familiar with it. Otherwise I would go with the Netgear ac router. If your home is big enough that you have wifi dead spots, then you can probably set up the AirPort Extreme to extend the network.
    01-25-2015 10:28 AM