Help with my restrictions passcode please?

I

iMore Question

I have a 4 digit passcode on my iPhone 4 for security reasons (the phone was pre-owned when I got it from my sister) but recently I tried to change restrictions and it keeps saying my restrictions passcode is incorrect. I assumed the restrictions passcode was the same as my 4 digit passcode I use every time to access my iPhone but clearly it is not.

I don't have the '10 incorrect attempts and all data is wiped' option turned on thankfully, I am very worried about this. How can my restrictions passcode not be the same code I use to login? I don't know how long this has been this way and would very much appreciate help with this, I would rather not restore to factory settings as I have many much-loved pictures on it and would just rather not be inconvenienced. Is there any way you can help me reset my iPhone restrictions passcode via my email or online icloud in some way?

(Just FYI, I have heard many people complaining online that this is due to the recent IOS8 update and have tried '1234' as someone suggested, this has not worked)

Please help me!