Can anyone explain Apple's version of this? I use it on my Microsoft account and I am wondering if it works the same way. Right now I am in waiting period.

Can two step be turned off after its turned on?

Does it send a simple text message?

Anything else would be great to know, I just don't want to screw with my iCloud email. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    05-22-2014 05:46 PM
    Yes you can turn it off.
    No it does not use SMS or iMessages. You'll get a notification on another Apple device with the pin code.
    05-22-2014 07:07 PM
    If you read this article in full I am sure it will help you to understand how all this works related to Apple.

Apple ID: Security and your Apple ID

Also I believe this is what you specifically asked about which is here in this article but will give you a jump.

Two-Step verification
    Apple offers an optional security enhancement for your Apple ID called two-step verification. Two-step verification requires you to verify your identity using one of your devices before you can make changes to your account information at My Apple ID, or make an iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store purchase from a new device. For more information, read the two-step verification FAQ.

Good luck to you and now you will know what many members ask about like yourself but don't want to research it, That is why we are here for you.
    05-22-2014 07:07 PM
    Yes you can turn it off.
    No it does not use SMS or iMessages. You'll get a notification on another Apple device with the pin code.
    The other Apple device doesn't have to be under your AppleID. For instance I have my husband's iPhone as a backup device for two-factor auth.
    And it may use SMS as a backup. Haven't tried that.
    05-22-2014 07:08 PM