Sending a text from iPhone 5S to my email

I

iMore Question

For some reason I've lost the capability to, for example, take a photo with my iPhone 5S, then send it as a text message to my email address. I have "Peter email" in my Contacts, with peter@example.com in the contact, and was able to sent a picture to the email address. Now it simply comes right back to the phone. I should point out that I do not have my Outlook email integrated with the iPhone; I didn't before I lost the ability to text to the email account, either.

Thanks,
Peter

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I know I can email a picture to my email address , but didn't know it was possible to text a picture to a email address.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that you are or could send an entire text to email to yourself which is NOT possible. Now if are trying to send a an image or photo within the text message of course you can do that by tapping the pic and on the bottom right hand side there is a small box with an arrow that by selecting will give you a number of options and email being one of them. It only attaches the pic but that's all, Not the entire message. I hope this is what you mean?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know I can email a picture to my email address , but didn't know it was possible to text a picture to a email address.
Taz I am sure you already know this but in the iMessage if someone sent you a pic and you wanted to share it with someone by email you need to simply tap the pic and when it opens full size tap the little box with arrow on the bottom left which will give you choices and email being one, No different than before, Just a different way to get there with iOS 7.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Is peter@example.com attached to your iMessage account?

If so, try turning it off or else send the picture via "text message" to an alternative email address.

It works.

Yup, if that email is associated to iMessage then it just assumes you want to send it as an iMessage. It needs to be disabled in order for it to work. Have seen this happen several times now.

JSNC99

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
In order to send an E-Mail to an E-Mail address for contacts that are in your contact list that have a Apple ID (including yourself), you must turn off iMessage (Settings\Messages\iMessage (toggle to off). Make sure MMS(SMS) Messaging is on (after the recent OS update, my wife's MMS switched to off). iMessage is not needed for sending texts from mobile phones.

Pat Vee

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Is this standard? This seems kind of broken. Often times people send me links to my phone that really aren't useful to look at on my phone, so I'd like to forward them from my messaging inbox to my home email (which happens to be the email account I have linked to iTunes / iMessage) so I can look at them later. However, since my home email account is my iMessage account, when I try and forward the message, the sending bar shows up, and then it says delivered, but no message appears in my email. If I touch and hold on the message, I have an option between 'Copy' and 'More' that says 'Send to Email Address' which does work, but is fairly annoying. I used to be able to text notes / reminders to my email all the time, but now it doesn't seem to work.

Any way to disconnect that email without losing iMessage capability?

Pat Vee

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Either forwarding, or just creating a new message, I would like to be able to go through iMessage and send things to my Gmail account (which is the account I have as my primary iTunes / iMessage accounts). I don't have that Gmail account used in any send/recieve, so I'm pretty sure the messages are going no where.

If I send a message to my old Yahoo or work email, they both work fine. I've tried removing my Gmail from my contact info and just typing it in manually, but that doesn't do it.

ericmaddy

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Can you send a text message via email in a format that allows you to edit it at the other end? In essence I would like to dictate info for my sev site. Can I email it, and cut/0astebin MS word?