Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I’ve owned tens of phones over 18 years. Never have I even scratched one, let alone had to have one replaced. 3 months in with my watch, I had to get it replaced. I had an accident, the screen got dinged, it got a scratch less than 1/4 inch long, with some accompanying scratches. But, what forced the replacement was that the screen became erratic. Not responding, etc. so ultimately I had to use one of my two Apple Care replacements as I was 100% honest with them.

How do you guys protect the face of your watch? I don’t see this thing lasting. I mean, it was the most gentle of bumps that caused that scratch.

Here is the scratch that caused my screen to stop randomly responding.
ff53db9d6a5efc65134b28049b692b00.jpg

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have many tiny and a few very visible scratches on my first gen Watch, but the screen is still as accurate as new.

I’m sorry to hear this has happened to you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
When I bought the watch, I had a Zagg screen protector installed, but it came off in the summer after I swam with the watch. Since then, i have a scratch and a couple of gouges on the bottom of the display. Since noticing those, I put a Skinomi screen protector which I bought off Amazon ($7 I think?). The Skinomi is fantastic. Unlike with bare glass, the screen stays very clean (no more wiping off finger grease), it is not peeling, and was pretty easy to install (it helps if you use a hair dryer - this is one of the ones you wet to temporarily disable the adhesive, place and try to squeegee out - but a hair dryer really accelerates the process.)

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I have a Spigen Tough Armor on my 42mm S3. It works well and doesn't add a lot of bulk in my opinion. Has a built in screen protector and the touch screen performs without fail.

I’ve only been an AW owner for a couple weeks, so my experience should be considered rookie status.

Might be overboard in some people eyes, but I live in the country/mountains. So I am rough on my devices (I should be a poster board example for Lifeproof cases). Will put it to the test this summer out on wildland fires.

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Extre...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3024896

45d290d6d2d3ca7201518ba6531978fb.jpg

76b03bc88b2e3d20d8bbcbdfd87e6581.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No case on Apple Watch Series 0 since release

Nothing to the effect on the screen or body.

Same here. Never had a screen protector or protective casing on it and it looked darn good when I finally gave it to my youngest son around this past Thanksgiving. My current Series 3 Apple Watch will not have any protection on it either, and I don't foresee any damages to it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I don’t protect the face of my watches.
Scratches are normal and are bound to happen
For each scratch I have on my watches, it only brings back memories on where I was in the world.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
No protection here and my watch looks flawless. Not concerned about scratches when and if I ever get my first one. Sorry to hear that happened to your watch but glad you got a replacement with AppleCare.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have armour suit screen protector on it. Can’t even tell a screen protector is on it. Lifetime warranty on it as well. I had it on first Apple Watch as well. Worth it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Can’t even tell a screen protector is on it. Lifetime warranty on it as well.

Right, I didn't mention that in my post, but the same is true with Skinomi. And it comes with six, in case it does peel, or you mess up installing the first time.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
3 months in with my watch, I had to get it replaced. I had an accident, the screen got dinged, it got a scratch less than 1/4 inch long, with some accompanying scratches. But, what forced the replacement was that the screen became erratic. Not responding, etc. so ultimately I had to use one of my two Apple Care replacements as I was 100% honest with them.

How do you guys protect the face of your watch? I don’t see this thing lasting. I mean, it was the most gentle of bumps that caused that scratch.

Would you mind elaborating a bit more on what caused the scratch? I'm curious just what it would take to do that. My AW0 and AW2 have never had a protector and they are scratch free.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
No protection on my Apple Watch 0. Now I do have the stainless steel watch which does have sapphire glass. I don't have a scratch on it and I use it at work so it does get the occasional bump. I have some micro scratches on the stainless steel but they polish right out with a jewelers cloth.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
When I had the sport Apple Watch, I was scratching the you know what out of the glass. I’ll never go sport again for that reason. Now I have the stainless steel watch and it comes with sapphire crystal glass. Wow what a world of difference. Not even a single blemish on the glass with this one. It’s almost impossible to scratch this glass. Wish the phones used this same glass.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I never have to use any form of protection on my SS original AW and current Series 2 as both are also sapphire crystal screens. I've brushed my screen across concrete walls but they just clean off without a single scratch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don’t see this thing lasting. I mean, it was the most gentle of bumps that caused that scratch.

If there was one design change that I wish Apple had incorporated, it would be for some sort of protective bezel for the edges of the crystal. "Real" watches have bezels for some good reasons (in addition to protecting the edges, it provides a way to seal the edges of the crystal to the case to maintain water and dust resistance rather than Apple's method of a ton of glue.)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
When I had the sport Apple Watch, I was scratching the you know what out of the glass. I’ll never go sport again for that reason. Now I have the stainless steel watch and it comes with sapphire crystal glass. Wow what a world of difference. Not even a single blemish on the glass with this one. It’s almost impossible to scratch this glass. Wish the phones used this same glass.

Agreed!
I’ve dinged and bumped my SB S3 everywhere, and it still looks brand new.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Would you mind elaborating a bit more on what caused the scratch? I'm curious just what it would take to do that. My AW0 and AW2 have never had a protector and they are scratch free.

I fell and landed on my elbow/arm. I didn’t even think the watch touched. As you can tell, that is an extremely awkward scratch for a fall. I checked the edges, no marks. I then went to check the time and saw that and yelled lol. I do have the lowest watch, not the ones with the sapphire glass.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I fell and landed on my elbow/arm. I didn’t even think the watch touched. As you can tell, that is an extremely awkward scratch for a fall. I checked the edges, no marks. I then went to check the time and saw that and yelled lol. I do have the lowest watch, not the ones with the sapphire glass.

That’s very unfortunate.
I think even a sapphire glass will scratch in this case.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2