Question on swapping sim cards

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know the answer to this one? So I have a work and personal phone. My work phone is provided through my company and my personal phone is mine. I can pair my work iPhone to the watch, but I can't use the LTE as its a group company plan that they pay the bill on.

Here is my question. If I put in my personal SIM card when setting up the watch for LTE and then swap it out for my work SIM, will it still work for LTE (obviously with my personal number). Will it stay paired to my work phone but just use the LTE off of my personal phone?

Its not a deal breaker if it doesn't, I was just wondering if at any point I wanted to activate the cellular option on it. Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The "SIM card" for the watch is built in and works on any carrier. It is not possible to swap it out.

Edit: Thinking about your post more, I realize I may have misunderstood. Basically, you are thinking of putting your personal SIM card into your work phone, then after setting up the watch putting your work SIM back in. Kind of a reverse of what iMore talked about here with an Android phone.

From what I know, that will not work. Once you change your SIM card in the phone your watch is paired with, I suspect that the watch will try to update its cellular information based on the new SIM in the iPhone. You can always try it, I don't think it would hurt anything, but I suspect you'll find it won't work.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The "SIM card" for the watch is built in and works on any carrier. It is not possible to swap it out.

Edit: Thinking about your post more, I realize I may have misunderstood. Basically, you are thinking of putting your personal SIM card into your work phone, then after setting up the watch putting your work SIM back in. Kind of a reverse of what iMore talked about here with an Android phone.

From what I know, that will not work. Once you change your SIM card in the phone your watch is paired with, I suspect that the watch will try to update its cellular information based on the new SIM in the iPhone. You can always try it, I don't think it would hurt anything, but I suspect you'll find it won't work.

Thank you for the info. I figured it probably wouldn't. I may try it to see what happens but I wanted to see if it was going to mess anything up if I did do it. Thank you!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the info. I figured it probably wouldn't. I may try it to see what happens but I wanted to see if it was going to mess anything up if I did do it. Thank you!

As I said, I doubt it will mess anything up -- other than likely trying to sign your phone up on your work cell phone plan. And you'll want to make sure, after the test, to cancel the watch from your carrier plan.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Here is my question. If I put in my personal SIM card when setting up the watch for LTE and then swap it out for my work SIM, will it still work for LTE (obviously with my personal number). Will it stay paired to my work phone but just use the LTE off of my personal phone?

I'm not sure I understand your question completely and have no answer anyway. But why should that stop me.

'If I put in my personal SIM card [in the work phone?] when setting up the watch for LTE...'

I'd guess since the SIM sets up the account information for the phone it can belong to only one account, not the employer's for the phone minutes/data and yours for the Watch. So you're left with the employer to activate a Watch plan for the company phone, which won't happen.

Is there any advantage to you in using your work phone for both company business and personal use? You'd put your personal SIM in your work phone, and pair your watch to it. You would then be paying for your 'work' phone but would have the Watch too. This might not be something you'd want to do, for privacy as well as cost issues. Or you could carry two phones.

I don't think I'd put a work SIM in my personal phone, though.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand your question completely and have no answer anyway. But why should that stop me.

'If I put in my personal SIM card [in the work phone?] when setting up the watch for LTE...'

I'd guess since the SIM sets up the account information for the phone it can belong to only one account, not the employer's for the phone minutes/data and yours for the Watch. So you're left with the employer to activate a Watch plan for the company phone, which won't happen.

Is there any advantage to you in using your work phone for both company business and personal use? You'd put your personal SIM in your work phone, and pair your watch to it. You would then be paying for your 'work' phone but would have the Watch too. This might not be something you'd want to do, for privacy as well as cost issues. Or you could carry two phones.

I don't think I'd put a work SIM in my personal phone, though.

Without getting too detailed, because I’m not sure you completely get what I was saying, it doesn’t work. The Watch will only grab a signal from the phone it is paired to. If the sim it paired with is in a different phone, it doesn’t work.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know the answer to this one? So I have a work and personal phone. My work phone is provided through my company and my personal phone is mine. I can pair my work iPhone to the watch, but I can't use the LTE as its a group company plan that they pay the bill on.

Its not a deal breaker if it doesn't, I was just wondering if at any point I wanted to activate the cellular option on it. Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

This will only work if your iPhone is not seeing the Watch and vice versa. You won’t be able to accept phone calls from your personal phone if the Watch is in the vicinity of your work phone.

The reason for this is that the Watch only falls back to LTE when it doesn’t find your iPhone and can’t connect to any previously connected (read as known) WiFi.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Without getting too detailed, because I’m not sure you completely get what I was saying...

Well, not getting too detailed is probably why I may not be getting what your saying. The devil is in the details, and details coherently stated are what make for useful communication and understanding.

donnation said:
. The Watch will only grab a signal from the phone it is paired to. If the sim it paired with is in a different phone, it doesn’t work.

Again, details might help me here.

I understand in general how SIMs work, also, particularly as an owner of four AWs but only one phone, the pairing of devices.

People swap phones and SIMs all the time. So I understand that much. The reason I mentioned unpairing in my previous response is because you'd be using a different phone with your SIM and to use a Watch all it needs to be paired to a phone, preferably the one you're using. The Watch isn't paired to a SIM, strictly speaking. That's why you pair and unpair. You move the Watch to the phone you're using.

And I understand that you wanted to use a Watch with your work phone while it's data is payed by your personal phone's account. And I believe that not to be possible for the reason stated in my previous post.

As (in my belief) that's not possible, I was suggesting an alternative. While it might not suit your purpose for personal reasons, I'm curious why it wouldn't work from a technological standpoint.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2