What am I getting myself into?

Munale

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
So i need to cut the cable but I still need entertainment so I am considering purchasing an Apple TV. My problem is I'm not clear on what all I'm getting into and whether or not I will get over my head with regards to hacking etc. I have a Panasonic HDTV as well as a Mac mini(2010) and an Iphone 3gs running IOS5.1. My question is If i buy the apple TV how much will i be able to utilize with my current setup? Will I be able to do airplay streaming easily? Will i need to upgrade to Lion to get anything to work? If i get a ATV2 and jailbreak it, will i need to own an Xbox to get things like Hulu plus?

Help!!!

meskin84

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, I currently have cable, but I also have two Apple TVs. I personally use them more than I use cable. My wife loves her DVR but I could take it or leave it. I have ALL my entertainment on my iTunes (as I am sure most do) and I love that no matter where I am in my house I can watch any of my movies or tv shows without having to go get the dvd. Mirroring is SIMPLE. Anyone with an iOS device or Mac can actually mirror to the Apple TV as long they are on the same wifi network. Its great when my brother is over and we are showing each other trailers for upcoming movies or videos we recorded, stuff like that. Hulu is another thing, it does not work on Apple TV, maybe if it is jailbroken but I haven't attempted that. I guess if you have a Mac with Mountain Lion, or an iPad that allows mirroring of the entire system, you could watch from there. Overall, for the price, I love it. Can not get enough Apple TV.

meskin84

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple TV is great, in my opinion. My brother and I both have two and we use both everyday. We have gotten to the point where we have backed up our entire DVD collection on to our hard drives and so as a result watch everything straight from Apple TV, its a great device. Mirroring also works great, any iOS user, or iTunes account that is on the same WiFi network as your Apple TV can mirror right to the device. Its a nice feature. When my wife and I travel, we usually load up the iPad with some movies and tv shows and just mirror to the Apple TV in the hotel room. I highly recommend it. Love the product.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure AppleTV support Hulu Plus, you just have to subscribe at 7.99 a month (well worth it), OR get Netflix at 7.99 a month. I would NOT get both there is a LOT of duplication. If you prefer TV shows get hulu plus, if you prefer movies get Netflix, BUT both services do have some of both, and Netflix has a LOT of TV, it just has older stuff, no in season current TV like hulu plus does.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure AppleTV support Hulu Plus, you just have to subscribe at 7.99 a month (well worth it), OR get Netflix at 7.99 a month. I would NOT get both there is a LOT of duplication. If you prefer TV shows get hulu plus, if you prefer movies get Netflix, BUT both services do have some of both, and Netflix has a LOT of TV, it just has older stuff, no in season current TV like hulu plus does.

No Hulu (plus or basic) on AppleTV

With a Mac Mini, you can get Hulu, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Plex and still have access to your iTunes stuff.

AppleTV will allow you to use AirPlay to get your computer screen to your TV under Mountain Lion, but the Mac Mini, connected to your TV as it's display already has that.

Last edited:

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
If you have your Mac Mini, it will "mirror" to your ATV. So if you watch Netflix/Hulu on Mac Mini it should show up in APTV, If understand it correctly. I know movies on you Mac will stream to APTV. I agree, Hulu Plus got added to Apple TV. Saw it on one the other day.

PS. If your 3GS will Mirror just get all the "TV" apps in the app store and your set up! I watch Falling Skies all the time from my iPad. I have to wait a day, but not bad!

Munale

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
yeah at the time i dont think hulu plus was in there. anyways i went with the roku box because it has more content right now. hoping for a big ATV refresh in a couple of weeks with ios6.

meskin84

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, Hulu dropped on ATV pretty much immediately following my post, maybe a week or two. It is definitely on now...and once again, I'm in love

meskin84

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
if i had an iphone4s i wouldve got it but im still on 3g so i cant take full advantage of the airplay.

Yeah, I can see that. I have a 3GS and the only thing it can't do is mirror the entire phone. Music and videos and a lot of the apps already have the ability built in, though.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

And I was tempted for a brief second to get Hulu Plus, in addition of my Netflix. But I didnt. Thanks for confirming this decision. :)

meskin84

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Hulu Plus is cool, but not really necessary, especially if you have cable. A lot of the appeal of that service is being able to watch shows as they air.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2