Who's sticking with Apple Music?

GatsbyGlen

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
The only way to get Apple Music to stream through your TV is with an Apple TV 2.

No limit to offline music other than device storage limitations.

No Web player for Apple Music, only through iTunes.

I used both back and forth all summer and noticed no quality difference.

I ended up sticking with Google Music because of a slightly better catalog, Web player, no bugs, and the ability to easily upload whatever of my own albums I want to fill in any gaps in Google's library. With Apple Music iCloud Music Library it was all or nothing.

The icing on the cake is the new ad-free YouTube Red will soon be included with a Google Play Music subscription.

If you still have that $7.99 promo price I'd without a doubt stick with Google Music. I had that promo price in the beginning and for whatever reason I wanted to go with Spotify at the time and like a dope I gave it up.

Yup, I still have that promo price. I wasn't aware of YouTube Red - I'll have to read more about that :) I see it's included for free for those with Google Play Music now, but I'm uncertain if the access to YouTube Red is just a trial for a certain amount of time, or for the life of your current subscription?

GatsbyGlen

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look into YouTube Red some more. I see that it will be available to the current Google Play Music subscribers, but is that only for a limited time?

I haven't found much difference between the two yet, but I have 3 months to try Apple Music. One thing I do like better about Apple is that it integrates better with the head unit in my 2013 Camry. When using Apple Music, the unit has a browse button and allows me to control what music to play from it. With Google Play music (on an iPhone or Android), I have to control it from the phone, I have no browse functionality. Not sure why that is - perhaps the head unit was geared for iPhone/iPod devices. However, I really like the ability to control playing music from the head unit! Maybe I need a new car to support Google better :)

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I can see your reasons for leaning toward Apple Music. I have no controls in my car so it makes no difference to me in that regard.

The YouTube Red thing is brand new as of next Wed, but my understanding is subscribing to one gets you the other, no limited time or anything.

YouTube Red is not something I'd ever pay for by itself but if I'm already paying Google for Play Music, I'm liking the added value I'm getting there. My kids use YouTube a lot too and I'm liking that they won't have to watch ads either.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Went back to Apple Music from Spotify after getting my Apple Watch. Just like the "all in" integration that it does and using Siri to listen to music, especially in the car.

ShinKen

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I decided to cancel mine after this month and will be staying with my Spotify subscription. For me it came down to how and where I listen to music and sharing features. Most of my listening when I am at home is either on my PS4 when I am in the living room or on the sole Sonos speaker that I have in my bedroom. Both of these can be solved by adding an AppleTV and Sonos supporting Apple Music but until that happens it is a no-go for me.

Also I really like how playlists are handled and shared on Spotify. A very good friend of mine created a great playlist of music from Brazil spanning from the 60's to the present. I like when she updates the playlists and it is updated on my end as well. Other thing was it just seemed clunky for me to discover new music on Apple music vs. Spotify.

I know I will revisit Apple Music once a I get my hands on an AppleTV or Sonos updates it's software.

fadedlogic

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
While the Tidal lossless music is great, if you have great headphones; their poor music curation is a deal killer for me. I don't care about music videos, I want lossless playlists of all genre of music. Tidal just is no where near the depth of curation as Spotify and Apple Music. I cancelled my Tidal after 4 months. I will probably keep Spotify given all the playlists and music discovery features. I let Apple Music lapse, but I really miss the Alligator Radio Hour with Joshua Homme.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I just recently got an iPhone after using Android for a long time. I've been a Google Play Music subscriber now for over 2 years and I'm checking out Apple Music's trial service. Apple ($9.99) vs Google ($7.99) - I'll read over the thread to glean some insight on the differences between the two.

Some questions

• Can you cast Apple Music to a device, say a TV like Google Play Music?
  • Is there a limit to how much music can be made available offline?
  • Google provides a web front end for managing music. For Apple, is this only done via iTunes?
  • Does anyone know if there is a difference in streaming audio quality between the two?

Interesting hearing any info on differences from those that have used both :)

Thanks!

I've been thinking of giving up my Google music but I noticed I get the new YouTube Red service included so I decided to stick with Google since I also happens to use YouTube a lot and now no ads

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I can see your reasons for leaning toward Apple Music. I have no controls in my car so it makes no difference to me in that regard.

The YouTube Red thing is brand new as of next Wed, but my understanding is subscribing to one gets you the other, no limited time or anything.

YouTube Red is not something I'd ever pay for by itself but if I'm already paying Google for Play Music, I'm liking the added value I'm getting there. My kids use YouTube a lot too and I'm liking that they won't have to watch ads either.

Na you get both and as far as I read not a temporary thing either

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
05b8e12335b2c99f2533bd9e33c73076.jpg

Doesn't sound like a temporary thing either based off the email

GatsbyGlen

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
The ad free feature of YouTube Red is definitely nice. I watch a fair amount of YouTube on the Roku. I have 2 months to figure out which I'll keep :)

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The ad free feature of YouTube Red is definitely nice. I watch a fair amount of YouTube on the Roku. I have 2 months to figure out which I'll keep :)

Honestly YouTube Red feature being included seal the deal for me along with being $7.99. As comparing Google to Apple solely on the App and integration I prefer Apple music.

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So far very happy. Have had the common issues with the mis-matching my library and fact that Apple is yet to increase the limit from 25,000 to 100,000 (which will enable me to use my full iTunes Library instead of a portion of it), but otherwise very satisfied.
Discovered quite a few artists that I would not have listened to otherwise and added older albums from some artists that I did not have their full catalog. Rarely listen to Beats 1, but do like some of the other radio stations.
Like I said, I have a lot of live albums in my collection, so them fixing the mis-matching is my biggest peeve at this point.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Honestly YouTube Red feature being included seal the deal for me along with being $7.99. As comparing Google to Apple solely on the App and integration I prefer Apple music.

I have the 7.99 deal, which will be hard to give up. I think I do like Apple Music better compared to Google, but the 7.99 deal can't be beat.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Can iTunes tell you what songs are currently on your phone when it is connected to your PC? It appears it can for songs purchased through iTunes, but for songs downloaded through the streaming service it doesn't. It would be nice to be able to organize the downloaded collection on the phone through a PC or MAC.

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I canceled Apple Music and kept Spotify. I'm a fan of the dark interface and playlists. Apple Music barely functioned on my phone. Perhaps I'll try it after a few more updates.

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I just started my free trial but right now for me it's a keeper. Haven't had any issues and the duplicates don't bother me. I hate having several music apps so Google Music is out for me and I never could get into Spotify.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Though I love Apple Music I feel like I'm missing out by not using Spotify Premium with my student discount. Ha

Currently on a 7 day Premium trial to see if I could possibly go on without Apple Music

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2