Hello, I like watching some of the DVDs using our external DVD drive we have...But on my MacBook Air, the movie may start, play for a bit...Then the video quits. It acts as if the device was removed. It’s like it lost power to the drive.

Almost immediately the drive starts spinning again and the movie starts all over again (right from the beginning). I’ve had it happen even when the Mac is plugged in.

Any thoughts
    11-03-2018 11:23 PM
    Does it occur when connected to any other device or TV?
    11-04-2018 08:22 AM
    Does it occur when connected to any other device or TV?
    This never happens at any other time. I haven’t test it, but maybe if I plug the DVD drive into a powered USB Hub instead if directly into the MacBook. That way the drive will get its power from the hub. Just a few thought.

Now that I think about it, maybe this drive did this when I had it connected to my Surface Pro. I don’t have that anymore (Went all in on Apple) so I cant test to make sure. I didn’t ever use the drive very much.
    11-05-2018 10:57 AM
    This never happens at any other time. I haven’t test it, but maybe if I plug the DVD drive into a powered USB Hub instead if directly into the MacBook. That way the drive will get its power from the hub. Just a few thought.

Now that I think about it, maybe this drive did this when I had it connected to my Surface Pro. I don’t have that anymore (Went all in on Apple) so I cant test to make sure. I didn’t ever use the drive very much.
    Keep us updated in regard to this matter, if you don’t mind...
    11-05-2018 01:46 PM
    Well, when I connected it to a powered USB hub and the hub to my Mac...It almost ran the whole video without completely stopping. Maybe an hour or so. It just completely acts like I unplugged the device and plugged it back in.

That tells me it has something to do with the power.
    11-07-2018 09:19 PM