Make Windows itunes use an external drive?

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
hi.
i bought an xsmax, restored previous device’s backup, completed first sync and full backup to my win8 laptop’s hard drive using the itunes default path for the library in ‘music’.

to change the default path to an external drive, which would be the best process: drag/drop the itunes folder to the external drive, change the path in preferences to that location, and complete a sync/backup ; or just change the path to the external drive and complete a sync/backup?

on paper it sounds like the result would be the same but i’ve never done it so i thought to ask.

side question: is the photo cache folder something i need to consider in this process? do i move it? will it auto move/associate with either process above?

thanks again.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I keep our libraries on an EHD. I just dragged and dropped and then pointed iTunes in that direction. It defaults to the last library opened so you should be good after showing it where to go as long as EHD is plugged in.

Can’t answer the photo cache question as I manually back mine up to the PC (as well as cloud services) so have never thought about it. I assume so as my photos move from device to device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73