External DVD Player Goes On and Off

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I like watching some of the DVDs using our external DVD drive we have...But on my MacBook Air, the movie may start, play for a bit...Then the video quits. It acts as if the device was removed. It’s like it lost power to the drive.

Almost immediately the drive starts spinning again and the movie starts all over again (right from the beginning). I’ve had it happen even when the Mac is plugged in.

Any thoughts

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Does it occur when connected to any other device or TV?

This never happens at any other time. I haven’t test it, but maybe if I plug the DVD drive into a powered USB Hub instead if directly into the MacBook. That way the drive will get its power from the hub. Just a few thought.

Now that I think about it, maybe this drive did this when I had it connected to my Surface Pro. I don’t have that anymore (Went all in on Apple) so I cant test to make sure. I didn’t ever use the drive very much.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This never happens at any other time. I haven’t test it, but maybe if I plug the DVD drive into a powered USB Hub instead if directly into the MacBook. That way the drive will get its power from the hub. Just a few thought.

Now that I think about it, maybe this drive did this when I had it connected to my Surface Pro. I don’t have that anymore (Went all in on Apple) so I cant test to make sure. I didn’t ever use the drive very much.

Keep us updated in regard to this matter, if you don’t mind...

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, when I connected it to a powered USB hub and the hub to my Mac...It almost ran the whole video without completely stopping. Maybe an hour or so. It just completely acts like I unplugged the device and plugged it back in.

That tells me it has something to do with the power.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2