Virtual Machine

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I am new to MacOS and also new to virtual machines, but I have been recently looking into putting one on my 2017 MacBook Pro. There seem to be a lot of different options available, so I’m wondering if any of you with experience could recommend one? I’m thinking I will use Ubuntu as the OS - but I’m definitely open to input. Also, if you have any other tips or advice before I dive into this, I’d greatly appreciate you sharing them!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Years ago, I used to dual boot my computers with various combinations of OSes. Among them was Ubuntu. Dual booting was not difficult to do from what I recall. Still, if you’re new to macOS, I would recommend you take some time to get familiar with its strength s and weaknesses before venturing into dual booting because typically, you’ll end up using one OS more than the other at some point.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Years ago, I used to dual boot my computers with various combinations of OSes. Among them was Ubuntu. Dual booting was not difficult to do from what I recall. Still, if you’re new to macOS, I would recommend you take some time to get familiar with its strength s and weaknesses before venturing into dual booting because typically, you’ll end up using one OS more than the other at some point.

I would for sure be using MacOS primarily. The main (only?) reason I want a virtual machine is for security purposes. For example, I would do all my finances and tax preparation from the virtual machine, then wipe it clean after each session to totally erase all my financial info, SSN, etc.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've been a Parallels user for a long time. It's $99 a year but, IMHO, the best vm software out there.