iPhone 8 Plus battery & lcd replacement?

fixxxer2020

Jul 8, 2022
Visit site
I just purchased a used iPhone 8 Plus. It was a steal for $40 from a older woman off of Facebook marketplace. The phone is in great shape other than a hairline crack on the display. It also will need a new battery as it’s about 80% capacity.

I’m wondering if anybody can recommend a good lcd replacement w tools? I’m seeing a lot of them on eBay and Amazon. I’m on a budget and want to keep it at $20-25. I’ve heard some of the replacement displays don’t support true tone. I don’t use that feature but I was curious about anyones experience? I’m replacing it myself.

As far as the battery will one of these off brand ones work? They claim to be an increase in mAh capacity but the same size battery. Are these false claims or is it legit? Please see the attached screenshot from Amazon. Or should I stick to a official apple OEM Battery?

I’m doing this myself as I don’t have apple care or warranty left.

Thank you!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased a used iPhone 8 Plus. It was a steal for $40 from a older woman off of Facebook marketplace. The phone is in great shape other than a hairline crack on the display. It also will need a new battery as it’s about 80% capacity.

I’m wondering if anybody can recommend a good lcd replacement w tools? I’m seeing a lot of them on eBay and Amazon. I’m on a budget and want to keep it at $20-25. I’ve heard some of the replacement displays don’t support true tone. I don’t use that feature but I was curious about anyones experience? I’m replacing it myself.

As far as the battery will one of these off brand ones work? They claim to be an increase in mAh capacity but the same size battery. Are these false claims or is it legit? Please see the attached screenshot from Amazon. Or should I stick to a official apple OEM Battery?

I’m doing this myself as I don’t have apple care or warranty left.

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to iMore! I have never considered repairing my own devices because I’m not confident in my abilities! Hopefully, others will chime in and give you the advice you need.

Also, we encourage new users to familiarize themselves with iMore’s Community Rules and Guidelines:

https://forums.imore.com/site-app-feedback-help/385947-community-rules-guidelines.html

Last edited:

fixxxer2020

Jul 8, 2022
Visit site
I appreciate it. There are a lot of repair videos online and YouTube. It really seems like an easy process. Obviously since I’m replacing the lcd I might as well do the battery at the same time. I’d use an apple store but I know it’s going to cost a lot more.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I’m not saying this was an issue for the OP. My post is for anyone who reads this thread and is considering buying a used iPhone. BEFORE YOU BUY please be aware how iPhone (and iPad and Watch etc) works/interacts with Apple and the iPhone’s Apple/iCloud account owner. Please notice I did not say the iPhone’s seller, I said the iPhone’s owner according to Apple/the Apple account that iPhone is registered to. That account must let go of the iPhone. Only the account owner can do this, Apple cannot do this, a seller who is not the Apple account holder can’t do this. See the issue?

If you want to buy a used iPhone from a reputable seller (Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, a site or shop that you personally know is reputable), or from a private seller you know personally, you should be good to go. They’ll stand behind the sale. OTOH If you are buying a used iPhone not under the previously listed sellers, (from a “pssst, come here, I got a great deal for you”), sorry but I am outright telling you to save your money. An iPhone in your hand is just a shiny object if it belongs to someone else’s Apple Account.
Buuutttt if someone insists the deal for a used iPhone from stranger X is too good to pass up (first I shake my head), at least do this one thing: the iphone should be on the hello screen. If it isn’t then before sale make the seller take the steps so that after reboot it’s at the hello screen. Before cash changes hands, setup the iPhone with your AppleID (please! Walk away without these minimum steps).

-A little known fact I’ve read: in the life of an iPhone, the device is limited to three iCloud accounts. If you are buyer number 4? Bummer..
-Blocklisted iphones by the carriers. I bet these iPhones are ideal ‘psst come here, do I have a deal for you to buy an iPhone’. If You get a blacklisted phone, I believe you are SOL.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77