Stuck in restore and dfu mode

mack#IM

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Will Not Accept Custom ISPW

So, 6 months ago, I jail broke my old iPhone 3GS, of course, since I had no idea what I was doing, I have the 6.15 firmware, with the 4.2.1 ispw. Well, it locked up on me soon after, so I just threw it on top of the fridge in disgust, and that's where it's sat until now. Fast forward to today.

Decided I want to get this working again, so I re-downloaded pawnage tool, the 4.2.1 restore ipsw, went through the steps, it gets as far as holding down the option key and picking the custom ipsw, before it says "this iPhone could not be restored because the firmware is not compatible"

Now, the way my simple little pea brain understands it, the firmware "6.15" is for the iPad, so do I have to download a iPad ipsw, or what? Has anyone ever ran into this before? I had to rep ace the hard drive on my MacBook not long ago, so I lost the original custom ipsw. I seem to be able to switch between restore mode and DFU mode, but that's it.

I have had this phone for a year and a half now, and have never been able to make one call from it. Bought it on eBay, it was locked on to AT&T (I live in northern Canada... We don't get AT&T) messed up on the jailbreak, couldn't get it to unlock, so here I am. Can anyone help me?

P.S. I don't need to hear how stupid I am. I'm a 40 year old guy that's just trying to learn to do some cool stuff like you guys. Give me a break. Also, I have looked through the other posts, and even though there are many posts that kind of pertain to my problem, I haven't found a fix yet.

P.P.S. I wasn't the one who actually "upgraded" my firmware to 6.15. That was one of those wizbang stores in west Edmonton mall that could "unlock and jailbreak anything" it didn't even work when i picked it up. (they are out of business now)

Thanks.

Last edited: