Restaurant Apps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This morning, as we were driving to work, my husband pointed out to me that restaurant apps exist so that the restaurants can collect our data. I pointed out that the convenience, and "rewards" are worth it, but he didn't buy it! Of course, I have many restaurant apps, many of which I have added during the height of the pandemic. Many of these are absolutely horrible, and not worth having, so I am now in the process of culling the herd. I'm keeping McDonalds, because that one works really well, and it also offers rewards. I'm also keeping Subway, Bob Evans, and Panera. I'm definitely dumping KFC, Lee's Famous Recipe, Bravo. I'm on the fence about a few others.

I'm also curious about suggestions and recommendations. Do you have any restaurant apps that you love or hate? If so, please share.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
This morning, as we were driving to work, my husband pointed out to me that restaurant apps exist so that the restaurants can collect our data. I pointed out that the convenience, and "rewards" are worth it, but he didn't buy it! Of course, I have many restaurant apps, many of which I have added during the height of the pandemic. Many of these are absolutely horrible, and not worth having, so I am now in the process of culling the herd. I'm keeping McDonalds, because that one works really well, and it also offers rewards. I'm also keeping Subway, Bob Evans, and Panera. I'm definitely dumping KFC, Lee's Famous Recipe, Bravo. I'm on the fence about a few others.

I'm also curious about suggestions and recommendations. Do you have any restaurant apps that you love or hate? If so, please share.

I do not have any specific restaurant apps but do use OpenTable.

What data is your husband worried about specifically? Food choices? They don’t have access to your bank account (that I know of). They are trying to drive business to themselves by providing you information. Unfortunately we live in a data-driven society and it’s a bit of a give and take. It is important to limit the information we share and ensure we trust the apps we use.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I do not have any specific restaurant apps but do use OpenTable.

What data is your husband worried about specifically? Food choices? They don’t have access to your bank account (that I know of). They are trying to drive business to themselves by providing you information. Unfortunately we live in a data-driven society and it’s a bit of a give and take. It is important to limit the information we share and ensure we trust the apps we use.

To be completely honest, I have no idea what he's worried about! LOL! I really don't care who knows that I like Large Diet Cokes, French fries and a cheeseburger! :D The only reason I'm dumping some of the Apps is because they stink! :D

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I also have McDonalds, Subway and Bob Evans. In addition, I also have Firehouse Subs, Wendy’s, and Tim Hortons.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I only have the Tim Hortons and Starbucks apps. The first one for my Tim Rewards card, the other because my former employer gave me a gift card.

The Tim Hortons app is okay. It does give me a free coffee every week or so, and I have some rebates when I remember to activate them.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have these eight and sometimes you can get some really good deals.
c4975ce793c861452d2c52dd8872f592.png

089eb9e556e77eec258c40d5dc2ba15b.png

I use Jersey Mike's more often than the others.

Actually I have 12 Foody apps...LOL

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the following installed

Chick-Fil-A
Dunkin’ Donuts
Starbucks

On occasion, I’ll reinstall

Jersey Mikes
Bento Asian Kitchen
Zoës Kitchen
Olive Garden

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My core circle of outdoor sports and adventure pals discuss stuff like this because we are all technology pros in security, app development, programming, content management and edge computing. I am tending to follow two of them using the mobile browser that usually works in lieu of having an app for how I know I can easily and for sure wipe data held locally.

The Apple privacy standards are a help over the android world is something that comes up.

One exception is we travel to a remote ski area with no cellular coverage and they use Toast with their WiFi to do orders for food and beverage. You must buy lift tickets online if you don't have a season's pass and their system sends passes to Apple wallet.

Overall this matter just does not bother me. We eat healthy in our family and never go to some places I see in this post. For any data collected, someone could figure out I like coffee and lower fat healthier menu items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77