Multi-phoners?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My name is Paris and I'm a multi-phoner.

...and so it began. I, like many here, am a phone enthusiast. Last year, at this time I had 5 new phones and had every intention of keeping each. I had a Note 20, Note 20 Ultra, Fold², S20 Ultra, and iPhone 11PM. This year I have 2xFold³s, an iPhone 12 Mini, and an iPhone 12PM. I rationalize this as...

* iPhone 12 Mini - sacrificial lamb for hazardous or questionable environments that are dirty/muddy/dusty/wet. With a decent case she'll take a licking but keep on ticking. Plus, she's compact, if I want to carry a compact device. Battery life...err, um....about that....

* iPhone 12 Pro Max - My primary device. She's a big tough booger with great cameras, a flat easily protected and gorgeous display and great battery life. Both iPhones allow me to benefit from iMessage and FaceTime with friends and family that all seem to have iPhones as well. She's the Dark Knight of my stable. At some point in the next 6 months I'll likely get a 13 Pro Max if it turns out they are indeed great and don't have any problems. For now, the 12 PM keeps me happy.

* SAMSUNG Galaxy Fold³s - are awesome but the battery life is not the greatest for a heavy user. They'll get charged more often and so battery wear will be higher. If I switch back and forth between the two weekly battery longevity should last a year without the battery on either getting below 90% total capacity left (makes sense to me). That plus insurance give me peace of mind to just use the phones as heavily as I like without worrying about overall battery wear. They Fold³s are also beautifully Android with all the customability and flexibility thet that allows.

I know most don't carry multiple phones but many do. One phone will not likely meet all my needs and desires so I give myself choices. Needless to say, I'm the type that doesn't want a scratch on any of my phones. Not a scratch. My other half doesn't care about scratches, cracked screen protectors, etc. and just quiestly accepts that I'm a multi-phone nut.

Which phones did you choose and why? Are you a multi-phone enthusiast?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Back in my late 20’s and 30’s, I used to carry two phones, but that was a long time ago. Fast forward to today. My iPhone is the only smartphone I use and carry and it is the only one I need. Period.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I use a single phone. I really find just the thought of multiple phones too cumbersome.

Yup ! we have already been there with pagers and phone mixes, the medics seemed to have it worst, with work phones private phones and a pager for each department they worked in, plus pagers for those others they were covering for !
ONE PHONE TO RULE THEM ALL

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I carry multiple iPhones and use an iPad, but don’t really see any advantage of carrying one iOS and an android device.

Atleast the iPhones are in the same ecosystem, where everything is kept in sync between them, picking up one device or another is rather seamless.

Would love to have one device again but atleast with iOS it isn’t that bad.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The only time I carry two iPhones is when my husband wants me to hang on to his. It's in an Otterbox case, and way too bulky for my little purse. I need a bigger purse! LOL!

Great topic, btw!!!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I simplified from a few phones pagers and car phone as well as desktop and laptop use to just owning a Single device 11 Pro Max waiting on my back ordered iPhone 13 Pro Max 512 GB

No more computers or tablets if the need arises I can jump on a PC quickly but it hasn’t been needed in quite some time

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I can certainly understand why some would be happier getting back to a single device but I love switching my SIM into a different device and getting a different experience whenever I want. I have been a phone enthusiast for years so its just crossed wires. When I want the exotic I have my Fold3s and when I want or need iOS’ stability and consistency/simplicity I have it. iMessage and FaceTime can’t be beat.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That’s the thing about iPhones I never have to switch sims. each phone has the sim and an esim activated, so it’s just pick one up and go. iCloud keeps everything synced; call list, messages and apps, it’s rather seamless.

Personally I wouldn’t call an android tablets exotic, but different strokes for different folks.

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My name is Rafael and I'm phone addict. I think I bought close to 200 phones since early 2000's including Dummies. I love my Sony Ericsson phones but used PayGo, didn't feel I needed a contract until 2009 with my first Smart phone, BlackBerry Bold 9000.

I have 4 phones, though my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra will be sold next week. I have 3 daily drivers...

Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB Sierra Blue. Plan.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 Green. Plan.
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G. Data only.

Why did I pick these phones? I honestly don't know anymore. All about owning the latest with the iPhone. The two Samsung's it was about budget and promotions.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
In general, I'm buying too many phones, but only use one as my daily driver. Currently a 13mini - but I can't guarantee to not switch to a larger screen phone while waiting for the 14.

I do believe that Android is the more flexible and capable OS, but I'm too deep into the Apple ecosystem to use anything but an iPhone.

Exception: I still have my good old Blackberry Key2, which I sometimes power up to enjoy typing on a real keyboard, but only when at home lying on the couch.

I am enormously grateful to Apple and a few other providers of systems & apps, that they don't allow for 2 or more phones to run the same instances of their products. Examples: the Apple Watch only works with one phone at the same time. Signal Messenger only allows for one main instance on one device. Both request some intense 'migration effort' when changing phones.

This helps me to avoid buying and using more then one iPhone at the same time! I'm too lazy to wanting to spend so much effort on a weekly or daily basis.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m poor. I can only afford the one I already have.
And because I don’t need a phone to do my job, I’ve purchased mine myself. Therefore I only have one phone.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite to be exact.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Back in my late 20’s and 30’s, I used to carry two phones, but that was a long time ago. Fast forward to today. My iPhone is the only smartphone I use and carry and it is the only one I need. Period.

giphy.gif

(((cue Kevin Gates 2 Phones)))
sorry I couldn’t resist
But to answer the OP’s question…as much as I love tech and phones I would never want to have more than one honestly. I’ve only had 2 phones a couple times in my life and it drove me nuts TBH

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
That’s the thing about iPhones I never have to switch sims. each phone has the sim and an esim activated, so it’s just pick one up and go. iCloud keeps everything synced; call list, messages and apps, it’s rather seamless.

Personally I wouldn’t call an android tablets exotic, but different strokes for different folks.

I think we’re still at a stage where mobile devices with folding screens can still be seen as exotic, but you may be right, we may need 3D projected holograms to really be there today. 🤣

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been dual wielding a Nexus/Pixel along with an iPhone for the last 8-9 years (along with being an iPad and Mac user). I enjoy both OSs equally - Google has gotten a lot better in terms of UI and design, and at the same time, Apple is slowly allowing more customization into iOS. If I was to pick one purely to use as a phone with no other considerations, I think I'd pick a Pixel. But when you consider functionality across a range of products, then I'd go with the iPhone hands down.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an Android and an iPhone. OnePlus 9 Pro and iPhone 12. For my use cases there are plenty of things that I just prefer how Android handles them, and for others, I prefer how iOS handles them. I generally prefer how iOS looks over Android, and I generally prefer the functionality of Android over iOS. I’m still quite evenly split between the two. So I have both.

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
Life has certainly evolved for me. Years ago, I had two phones, and often switched back and forth between Android and iOS. However, in the last 4 years or so, I have stuck with iOS; even more so since I now own an iPad, Mac Mini M1, MBA, etcetera. So, I've felt no need to switch. Plus, I got tired of configuring Android devices.

PS: I still want Apple to allow ME, the owner of the iOS device to place my icons anywhere I choose. Alas, we wait...

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have an Android and an iPhone. OnePlus 9 Pro and iPhone 12. For my use cases there are plenty of things that I just prefer how Android handles them, and for others, I prefer how iOS handles them. I generally prefer how iOS looks over Android, and I generally prefer the functionality of Android over iOS. I’m still quite evenly split between the two. So I have both.
Same here. I just feel my Fold3 is far superior for my work needs, mainly because of DEX. But, for home, weekend and holidays use, iPhone all the way.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77