Battery life matters.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
How alone are we here?

My series 8 watch battery life has really dropped in recent month and some more with even the 10.0.1. My wife's series 9 arrived and she's got a boost in battery life but not had the sort of battery boost I saw getting the 8 a year ago. Yesterday I did a bike ride and exercise for only 45 minutes and not using a 3rd party app and I had low battery warning early in the evening.

I'm not seeing much if anything to change. I have few 3rd party apps, minimize background refresh, and same for notifications.

Thank you for anything helpful on this matter.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
My Ultra has also had more noticeable battery drain since the beginning of the summer really. Battery health is starting to go down, so that's likely part of the explanation.

That said, it doesn't seem any worse with watchOS 10 than it did with 9.6 the week before I installed 10 (I never installed 9.6.1).

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I also have the Ultra so it is not a direct comparison, but I am surprised that you would get a low battery warning after a days use that includes 45 minutes in workout mode. On a typical day, I wear the Ultra for about 16 hours and have 100+ minutes of exercise, and when I take it off (I sleep wearing an AW6) there is about 50% left. Even before I got my Ultra, my AW6 would last all day.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems like a double button press reset might have my batter life much better today - interesting considering the 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 were restarts.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My 8 has been draining ridiculously quickly for at least the last few months and the new OS did NOT help.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My 8 has been draining ridiculously quickly for at least the last few months and the new OS did NOT help.

Maybe your battery is a little tired by now.I don't know if you bought it new,and how long you've had it, but it's been a while since it was made !

Reactions: FFR

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The 10.1.1 release this week seems to have brought my prior battery life back. My wife's new series 9 still died before her work day was done.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It's still a little too early to tell, but the extra battery drain on my watch (it did turn out to be worse, contrary to my earlier post above, after several weeks of daily use) does seem better. It's not quite as good as it was a year ago , but it's also at 96% battery health, so that's understandable.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think the latest update improves my watch’s battery life. If it did, it’s maybe by 10 minutes.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I miss the days of Pebble watches lasting a good week but it is what it is. Apple watches have become the standard and that means you need to be bringing around the Apple watch charger when you travel.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It's still a little too early to tell, but the extra battery drain on my watch (it did turn out to be worse, contrary to my earlier post above, after several weeks of daily use) does seem better. It's not quite as good as it was a year ago , but it's also at 96% battery health, so that's understandable.
Three days later and I am convinced that 10.1.1 improved battery life on my Ultra over all versions of 10 before this. And, yes, it's as close to being back to what I was experiencing with watchOS 9 that I'd say it's now pretty much the same as before installing 10.0 a couple of months ago.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77