New battery already worn out?

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I had to have my iphone 6 battery changed out back in December 2016. I had gotten the phone in early 2015. They said it was depleted due to, to many charging cycles. It is now March 2017 and it seems like this new one is already worn down again. I've been trying to let it drain out rather than charge it when it's not too low to do so. Literally started with 50% this morning and already down to 7% I'm getting kind of frustrated with it. I've been working in a location with very weak cell signal so I'm wondering if that is killing it searching for signal? I try to throw it on low power mode to help it.
Is there anything besides taking it in to get checked that I can do on my own? My battery usage seems consistent also so I'm just puzzled what the deal is. Half tempted to just get an iphone 7 and be done with the 6 and sell it as it is.

Also wondering how it's possible I have an hour of time just on my lock/home screen. Seems excessive.

I did have battery changed at the apple store so it is genuine. I'm wondering if maybe some setting I can toggle to help the usage. And when I am in a poor signal area should I switch the LTE feature? I still never really understood all that stuff.
I have alot of apps I'm sure but I don't use them all but that shouldn't affect battery. I have the 128GB phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A weak signal will use more battery. Keep the battery % between 20% and 80%. Check in settlngs > Battery and see what uses the most. While that mostly indicates what you use the most, it could give you a clue. Also keep in mind the big 3 battery users are Screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. Have you checked your battery usage time? Do you do much streaming music or movies? Did your new battery come with a warranty? You also might have a rogue app misbehaving. Try swiping any suspects out of multitasking. Then do a hard reset (restart). A 3 month old battery should still be in pretty good shape. Does it seem to have lost some of its battery health %, or is it just discharging too fast?

btebeau

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
The complete discharge thing is from the old days with Nicad batteries. Modern Lion batteries are better off being kept fully charged, and 50% or so for long term storage without use.
Keep your phone charged, the overall battery life will be better.

Ledateplin gave some really tips and made good points about how regular daily things that can have an effect on battery life. I have a free app called "Battery Life" that compares your charge to what the capacity is. At least you would have piece of mind to see what the capacity of your new battery is. FYI I have an iphone 6, capacity is listed at 1751mAh in the app, Ifixit says the battery capcity is 1810 mAh new. Not bad for a 2+ year old phone, but I keep it charged.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The complete discharge thing is from the old days with Nicad batteries. Modern Lion batteries are better off being kept fully charged, and 50% or so for long term storage without use.
Keep your phone charged, the overall battery life will be better.

Ledateplin gave some really tips and made good points about how regular daily things that can have an effect on battery life. I have a free app called "Battery Life" that compares your charge to what the capacity is. At least you would have piece of mind to see what the capacity of your new battery is. FYI I have an iphone 6, capacity is listed at 1751mAh in the app, Ifixit says the battery capcity is 1810 mAh new. Not bad for a 2+ year old phone, but I keep it charged.
I wouldn't trust the battery heath % (wear level) on Battery Life too much. It tends to fluctuate up and down a lot. When it's charged up or plugged in it shows better. It's my understanding Apple stopped giving that info as well as charge cycles to developers. At least that's what the developer of Battery Health told me. He was mad. LOL I paid 99¢ for that app, then Apple messed it up. They don't want users to have that info. You can get it online at Coconut Battery on computer.

btebeau

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
My capacity is consistant, charged or low, I was skeptical of the app as well, so I put on a lot of devices to see how it was. On 6 devices of various age (3 phones and 3 ipads, varies by each one of course) it shows consistant capacity per device. It may be accessing something it shouldn't.
I wouldnt check while plugged in. Either way, it is free. Of course, that should not be the only thing you use to judge the battery health, it is just one more tool.

I was working in an area where my battery was consistently dying quickly (full charge in the morning, 40% by lunch, but I had really good cell/data strength. I came in on the weekend and noticed at lunch my battery was at 80-85%. After a few weeks of this, I figured that it was the fact that there were roughly 1000 people around me during the week, and almost none on the weekends. I assume we were all fighting over the signal, and knocking each other off. As was pointed out, there are many variables that cause short battery life.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien