Need help restoring IOS 6.0 on my 4s

Skinjob

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
THE PREAMBLE: I accidentally quiched my "Big Boss font" app? which sent my recently jailbroken iPhone 4s into a death spiral. I tried fixing it by using iExplorer to copy the "cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm" and "big boss" debian packages to a folder on the iPhone (private/var/root/Cydia/AutoInstall). I was hoping after a couple of reboots that it would fix my broken Cydia, since my phone is still jailbroken. But no go. (I think you need to actually run the packages on the phone, using iFile or SSH. Neither of which I have installed on the phone yet). :(

THE CURRENT SITUATION: So now I am looking to restore the firmware and rejailbreak, but that's not going too well either. I downloaded the 6.0 firmware for my device (which currently has 6.0). I decided I do not want to upgrade beyond 6.0, on account of battery issues I've been hearing about - so I must avoid doing this with iTunes. I'm not sure if I need the SHSH blobs to restore the same version of firmware that is already on the phone. But I did save them way back when (a query with RedSnow says I have both 6.0 and 6.1.2 blobs on the Saurik servers). However, I don't have physical access to them, as I am out of town.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED: The latest version of RedSnow, 0.9.15b3 will not restore the downloaded 6.0 firmware; it says "unsupported IPSW". I thought the latest versions work with the 4s? iReb won't restore it either. I even tried the latest version of iReb r6, but it doesn't even appear to support the 4s. I'm fresh out of ideas, anyone??.:confused:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Dude. We went over this.
Stop now!

You don't have cydia, so you can't side load anything onto your device and have cydia auto install it.
BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE CYDIA
You also don't have any tools on your device to install Debians.

ALSO you have an a5 device so you cannot jailbreak your device without using evasion.
You cannot use redsnow
You cannot use snow breeze

Evasion doesn't have as many options as those tools and does not have a GUI to install cydia alone.

That big said.

1. Restore your phone.
I don't care how you do it, but I STRONGLY recommend restore as new.
You are going to be on 6.1.2.
Deal with it.
Step 2. Use evasion 1.5 and jailbreak your phone.
Step 3. Sync your device and attempt to get it back the way you wanted it!

Not trying to be mean, just want to be clear.

Skinjob

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
You don't have cydia, so you can't side load anything onto your device and have cydia auto install it.
BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE CYDIA. You also don't have any tools on your device to install Debians.

Oh. I need Cydia to install deb packages. I missed that part in jailbreaking class. (I must have been playing Angry Birds). But come on, I went to the trouble to save my SHSH blobs! Are you sure there is no way I can restore to the same 6.0 that is already on the phone? Is this a limitation imposed by Redsnow, or other cracking tools that may not have updated yet to allow restoring to 6.0 on an A5 device? (After all, I read an article from back in September that said Redsnow accepts IOS 6 IPSW firmware on the 4s). I wasn't trying to jailbreak my device with Redsnow etc., only using those tools to restore the firmware. I also read that TinyUmbrella will be coming out with a version that will allow you to restore without iTunes. If so, then it seems I might just as well wait for that to come out and restore to 6.0, rather than be stuck in the same boat as all the gripers that have come to regret updating from 6.0...

Last edited:

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh. I need Cydia to install deb packages. I missed that part in jailbreaking class. (I must have been playing Angry Birds). But come on, I went to the trouble to save my SHSH blobs! Are you sure there is no way I can restore to the same 6.0 that is already on the phone? Is this a limitation imposed by Redsnow, or other cracking tools that may not have updated yet to allow restoring to 6.0 on an A5 device? (After all, I read an article from back in September that said Redsnow accepts IOS 6 IPSW firmware on the 4s). I wasn't trying to jailbreak my device with Redsnow etc., only using those tools to restore the firmware. I also read that TinyUmbrella will be coming out with a version that will allow you to restore without iTunes. If so, then it seems I might just as well wait for that to come out and restore to 6.0, rather than be stuck in the same boat as all the gripers that have come to regret updating from 6.0...

It doesn't matter. A5 devices cannot re-restore once on 6.0. Two, redsn0w has never supported A5+ devices on iOS 6.x.x. The restoring for iPhone 4S depended on a bug in iOS 5 so once past iOS 5 you cannot do it. Make sense?

Just go to 6.1.2 and redownload everything. It's nice to be on the most current firmware anyway.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad Mini GSM ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

6.1.2 is exaclty the same as 6.0, but with bug fixes...
if its a gripe on 6.1.2 then its a gripe on 6.0

but no, being on an a5 device it was possible to re-restore to a firmware you were already on at 5.0 but that is not a possibility on 6 and above
also it is quite possible that it will never be a possibility to downgrade anymore since apple has changed the verification methods.
so those of you with a5 devices and above may always have to be very very careful about the things you do

i suppose it is very possible that you can just run evasion again, however im not sure how smart it is to put a jailbreak onto a jailbroken phone.
maybe its very quic and nothng will happen
but i dont know! and i definitely dont reccommend it
but if you want to expirement and let us all know, why dont you just try and run evasion again

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
if its a gripe on 6.1.2 then its a gripe on 6.0

but no, being on an a5 device it was possible to re-restore to a firmware you were already on at 5.0 but that is not a possibility on 6 and above
also it is quite possible that it will never be a possibility to downgrade anymore since apple has changed the verification methods.
so those of you with a5 devices and above may always have to be very very careful about the things you do

i suppose it is very possible that you can just run evasion again, however im not sure how smart it is to put a jailbreak onto a jailbroken phone.
maybe its very quic and nothng will happen
but i dont know! and i definitely dont reccommend it
but if you want to expirement and let us all know, why dont you just try and run evasion again

Re: rerunning evasi0n--dev team generally does not recommend rejailbreaking a currently jail broken phone. It was different when the cydia installer was separate, but nowadays, the only option is a restore.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad Mini GSM ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Skinjob

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Apparently not. I've read a lot of first hand reports now from people who upgraded to 6.1 and 6.1.2, and swore that their battery life decreased (despite that 6.1.2 was supposed to address a very real battery draining bug that Apple finally acknowledged). People have not been having major complaints about battery drain on the 6.0 firmware. I've read the changelog since 6.0, and none of those supposed bug fixes have any relevance to me. So if I can avoid upgrading I will... but its looking like I can't. :( I got the impression Redsnow could help because I read this from a Redsnow user: "I recently tried jailbreaking my iPhone 4S (currently running iOS 6). In redsn0w, I selected the iOS 6 IPSW, it accepted it..." on absinthejailbreak.

"but if you want to expirement and let us all know, why dont you just try and run evasion again"​

Hmmm.... risk greater battery drain or risk bricking the iPhone..... tough decision, I admit. Well, if I ever choose the latter, I'll be sure to post my results....:cool:

Thanks for all your help in this delicate matter....

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Apparently not. I've read a lot of first hand reports now from people who upgraded to 6.1 and 6.1.2, and swore that their battery life decreased (despite that 6.1.2 was supposed to address a very real battery draining bug that Apple finally acknowledged).

Thanks for all your help in this delicate matter....

You've read and that is what makes you not want to upgrade? I talked to two people on the weekend and heard the same thing and I just walked away SMH. I am on 6.1.2 and I charge my phone once each day. So in 24 hours of use I charge once! It is better than the life I had on 6.0 why because I loaded the iOS fresh with an Option+Restore/Shift+Restore from DFU mode. I bit the bullet and set up as new just to have a nice stable OS. I loaded up all my media and settings and did an iCloud backup then JB. Using JB I use NCSetting to turn my data and Wifi on/off depending on which I'm using. So if I were you I would ignore the people you have heard, read, whatever and just do it. There are a million iPhones setup different ways, running different apps, settings, etc. So why people think what others say is law really makes me wonder.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy