M1 Air Display Closed Lid Flimsy?

rkwan2390

Aug 16, 2021
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So I don't know if this has happened to anyone recently and no amount of Googling or search on reddit and Apple forums show up with the issue I experienced today.

I was getting ready to head out to an appointment this morning and I disconnected my laptop from my dock and locked the laptop with Touch ID and closed the lid. After I closed the lid, I held the laptop firmly in my hands upside down holding the laptop where the display hinge and the body were(the fattest part of the laptop side). I gripped the laptop the same way as I've always did but this time I heard a little sound of like dust or something. I put the laptop on my table to check if there was some sort of dust on and noticed that the display didn't turn on. It was black for the first time since purchasing this laptop back in May. It's always woken up instantly so this time it was really weird. I checked by pressing the keyboard keys such as the ESC, Caps Lock (light turned on green), command key, Touch ID button (placed finger first then pressed button when nothing happened) and the brightness toggles. Nothing worked. So I closed the lid again and opened it back up. Nothing, same thing. So I closed it back up, held the laptop the same way (fattest part of the laptop) and held the same exact spot where I heard the dust. I heard the dust again and then opened up the laptop and VOILA! It woke up as usual and everything is working. I locked the laptop with Touch ID again, closed the laptop, opened it up immediately and display turned on as normal.

So then all was good but I was a little worried so while I was at my appointment waiting to be called in, I took my laptop out from my backpack the same way I held the spot where I heard the issue occurred and it happened again! Laptop won't wake. Pressed on the same area again and it woke from sleep. So I called Apple Support after and sent them a video of how to exactly reproduce the issue and they had no idea. So they advised I send it in for servicing which is basically a no go for me since I use this laptop for work and streaming. While I was still on support with Apple, I reproduced the issue the same way as before but this time I kept the display open for about a minute and the display woke from sleep! So now I don't even know why it's happening.

I'm thinking it might be some connector issue from holding that spot? But that wouldn't make sense since it is not the area where the connect is located so I'm left wondering if it's even worth sending in for servicing.

The laptop still wakes up normally every time if I don't grip on that area when I hold my laptop.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I send it in just to get it fixed or would it be okay to leave alone since everything works normally.

Here is a link to the video: https://youtu.be/rXrj4TQbLsM

Thanks

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So I don't know if this has happened to anyone recently and no amount of Googling or search on reddit and Apple forums show up with the issue I experienced today.

I was getting ready to head out to an appointment this morning and I disconnected my laptop from my dock and locked the laptop with Touch ID and closed the lid. After I closed the lid, I held the laptop firmly in my hands upside down holding the laptop where the display hinge and the body were(the fattest part of the laptop side). I gripped the laptop the same way as I've always did but this time I heard a little sound of like dust or something. I put the laptop on my table to check if there was some sort of dust on and noticed that the display didn't turn on. It was black for the first time since purchasing this laptop back in May. It's always woken up instantly so this time it was really weird. I checked by pressing the keyboard keys such as the ESC, Caps Lock (light turned on green), command key, Touch ID button (placed finger first then pressed button when nothing happened) and the brightness toggles. Nothing worked. So I closed the lid again and opened it back up. Nothing, same thing. So I closed it back up, held the laptop the same way (fattest part of the laptop) and held the same exact spot where I heard the dust. I heard the dust again and then opened up the laptop and VOILA! It woke up as usual and everything is working. I locked the laptop with Touch ID again, closed the laptop, opened it up immediately and display turned on as normal.

So then all was good but I was a little worried so while I was at my appointment waiting to be called in, I took my laptop out from my backpack the same way I held the spot where I heard the issue occurred and it happened again! Laptop won't wake. Pressed on the same area again and it woke from sleep. So I called Apple Support after and sent them a video of how to exactly reproduce the issue and they had no idea. So they advised I send it in for servicing which is basically a no go for me since I use this laptop for work and streaming. While I was still on support with Apple, I reproduced the issue the same way as before but this time I kept the display open for about a minute and the display woke from sleep! So now I don't even know why it's happening.

I'm thinking it might be some connector issue from holding that spot? But that wouldn't make sense since it is not the area where the connect is located so I'm left wondering if it's even worth sending in for servicing.

The laptop still wakes up normally every time if I don't grip on that area when I hold my laptop.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I send it in just to get it fixed or would it be okay to leave alone since everything works normally.

Here is a link to the video: https://youtu.be/rXrj4TQbLsM

Thanks

Hello and welcome to iMore. I don't have a Mac, so I don't have any answers for you... but there are others here who may be able to advise you and I'm sure they'll come along soon.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77