Luddite wants advice on Calendar+Tasks+Journal Apps

foxhunter

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ya'll. I am trying to get rid of paper notes and planners. I have spent the better part of 2 days researching apps for calendar, tasks, notes, productivity, etc... Who knew there were SO many? I have been through user reviews in the App store, numerous "Top 10" lists from various self-proclaimed experts, and much research here on iMore. My brain is on overload and threatening a massive FAIL if I do not make some sort of decision now!!! HELP!!! :D

I want a calendar with options for day, week, month and year views.
I want a task manager that lets me make simple lists (example grocery or errands)
I want a project manager that lets me create a project that may have sub-tasks, that may or may not have dates associated. And if there are dates in the project list, I obviously want them to show up on the calendar. And I need to be able to modify and complete sub-tasks.
I want to be able to make quick notes on the calendar, like a journal.
I want to work from my iPad2 or my iPhone4 and my Windows 7 laptop. Easy to sync - or web based for the PC is fine.

I DON'T need ability to collaborate projects with others.
I DON'T care much about setting multiple alarms and reminders.
I DON'T need an app that wants to schedule my time for me.

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for the app itself, but I really hate the subscription costs that come with most of the web or sync products. Guess I'll have to pony up for that anyway...

The only digital calendar I am using right now is the native one on the iPad. It's fine for just a calendar but doesn't offer the other stuff. Point is that I am not married to any other specific calendar or task software (google, outlook, etc...) So I can sort of start from scratch. I use Thunderbird as my email client on the PC, so no Outlook or Exchange to worry about. My primary email is a gmail addy although I only just today set up a google calendar to see what it offers. Looks OK for calendar and simple tasks but not so much for more complex projects and daily note taking.

I already have Dropbox and Evernote if those should factor into my decision.

I narrowed my list (yes, on paper :eek: ) to

Wunderlist - Good for lists, not really a calendar. Free!
Pocket Informant - Looks very useful, but has had mixed reviews and it looks like their web based system is still in beta. Also not cheap at $15 for the app and $25 annual web subscription.
SmartDay - Wow - looked great until I realized that it is WAY more stuff than I need. Complexity plus high $$ put it at the bottom of my list.
Toodledo - First impression did not seem intuitive to me...
ToDo - Looks more user friendly, probably does what I need, app is only 5 bux, but there's that $20 subscription fee again.
CalenGoo - I like this but not sure about jotting daily notes. Also, does this make sense given that I don't (yet) actually use the Google Calendar? (Or Google Tasks.)

ANY and ALL advice appreciated.
Thanks!!!!!

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked at 2Do? I think it works great and I use it everyday. I sync it with Toodledoo so I can access the list on my computer. You have a tall order ...

Good Luck!

Scarlet

Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk ;).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77