iTunes Home Sharing Not Working

friskies64

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I have recently just found out about Home Sharing and it sounded like a neat feature to be able to clear the music on my iPad 3 to regain space and also stream my movies, but I can't get it to work. On my computer (Windows 7 with latest iTunes), I have enabled home sharing and signed in with my Apple ID. On my iPad, I opened Settings went to Music/Videos and signed in with the same Apple ID (I only have one). When I open either Music or Videos on my iPad, I see nothing that would hint at sharing. No shared option in the "more" section of Music and only my iCloud purchases in videos. I have the same problem on my iPhone 4S as well. All devices are connected to the same wireless network. I've tried enabling and disabling "Share my library on my local network" and neither setting worked. I've also tried signing out of iTunes, de-authorizing, uninstalling, reinstalling, signing in, and finally reauthorizing with the same results. My web searches didn't find anything helpful either. What settings might I be missing to enable Home Sharing? Both the iPad and iPhone are on iOS 7.0.4.

Thanks

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Friskies!

Is your computer running while you're checking on your iPad?
For a PC, it must be running (and not idling), as far as I know.
For a Mac, there's a "wake up through network" feature, allowing to share the library even with the lid closed.

friskies64

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have kept my computer running with iTunes open. Sleep mode is disabled so only the monitor turns off. When I tried to stream though, I haven't let the monitor go to sleep so I don't think this is the problem. I've removed and re-added iTunes to the firewall with no change either. I also have an old iPhone 3GS on 6.1.3 and couldn't get sharing to work on that either so I don't think it's related to iOS 7.

friskies64

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I have since our router is getting old and I need to restart it pretty often otherwise the TV and Internet don't work well. I've just ordered a new wireless N router that should arrive in a few days. I'll see after installing that if it was my router that was the issue. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong on my computer or iOS devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have since our router is getting old and I need to restart it pretty often otherwise the TV and Internet don't work well. I've just ordered a new wireless N router that should arrive in a few days. I'll see after installing that if it was my router that was the issue. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong on my computer or iOS devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah it sounds like the router, hopefully the new one fixes things.

friskies64

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
It turns out it wasn't my router that was giving me problems but rather the wireless bridge that connects my computer to the network. I had to disable "Filter Multicast" in the security settings (DD-WRT) on the bridge. After that my iPad saw my computer's library and can stream now.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It turns out it wasn't my router that was giving me problems but rather the wireless bridge that connects my computer to the network. I had to disable "Filter Multicast" in the security settings (DD-WRT) on the bridge. After that my iPad saw my computer's library and can stream now.

Ah ok, well I am glad you got it working!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjkradel