Glad I traded

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
After trying to figure out why battery life was not good on my Series 5, decided to get the 6. I know the 7 will be released sometime but that doesn’t bother me. I got a decent trade in value I was able to use on the series 6
I am getting much better battery life on the 6. I do have notifications limited as I don’t need everything mirrored to my phone.
While at work my hand motions are more active. I am on the computer with every patient. I am fitting frames. Taking measurements. So I am always busy. But at the end of the day I still have battery life and not at 26% or lower. I don’t know how people can get 18 hours as Apple states. But at least at end of my day 60% or a bit more. I have always charged every night.
Today being Sunday I have had my watch on since 9 am. It is just about 1pm. It’s at 98%.
I am happy thus far

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don’t know how people can get 18 hours as Apple states.

It all depends on how much the watch is used.

I got my series 6 when it released and got a decent trade-in for my series 3.

For example, I’m currently home bound due to recovering from total left knee replacement. I got up yesterday morning around 9am and put my watch on the charger while I did my morning PT and then got in the shower. I got out , got dressed and put on my watch. Throughout the day I had 2 more sets of PT exercises, plus walking all throughout the house, front porch and back patio, checking the mail, plus all notifications and phone calls. I went to bed around 11:30pm last night at which time I put my watch in sleep mode to monitor my sleep. Got up this morning, turned sleep mode off and had a carbon copy of yesterday.

So some 35-ish hours later my watch is currently at 24%. So yes, you can get an insane number of hours between charges, but it just depends on how the watch is used.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I are in the process of trading, too. Her a first-gen Apple Watch, and me a Fitbit Versa, both getting replaced with new Series 6’s. For the longest time I fought the smart watch wave, but then caved a few years ago and got the Versa. Now the battery is showing signs of fading, so I started looking around for a replacement, and figured what the hell, I’ll treat myself. I have no need for most of the capabilities of this thing, hell I don’t think I’ve ever even used any of the Fitbit apps; but the added health health features of the Seres 6 will make it worthwhile for me. And my wife, well, she’s more of a geek than I am and was just ready for an upgrade.

Got another week now before they’re delivered, so right now I’m just reading up trying to get some ideas for what I’ll actually do with it. Already figured out how to get steps to display in a complication (does anybody know why/how they decided to call those things ‘complications’?). First thing I’m gonna have to get used to is setting a time every day to charge it - I can go 3 or 4 days between with the Fitbit, so I won’t have that luxury any more. And then I just need to see what other goodies I can make use if that I’ve been depriving myself of all these years.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
(does anybody know why/how they decided to call those things ‘complications’?)

It's an old mechanical watch/clock term. A mechanical watch has a spring and some mechanics to drive the hour hand. If the watch has a minute hand (of course most do, but the first watches I believe did not), that makes it more complicated - you've added gearing that turns the minute hand 60 times faster than the hour hand - and watch makes called it a complication. The same with the second hand, and then a rotating date wheel that shows the current date in a window, and then the day of the week, and even things like the phases of the moon. All of these items made the watch movement more complicated, so they were called complications.

Apple decided to use the term for optional things on the clock display despite the fact that it's not all that complicated on a computer display like the Apple Watch.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My wife and I are in the process of trading, too. Her a first-gen Apple Watch, and me a Fitbit Versa, both getting replaced with new Series 6’s. For the longest time I fought the smart watch wave, but then caved a few years ago and got the Versa. Now the battery is showing signs of fading, so I started looking around for a replacement, and figured what the hell, I’ll treat myself. I have no need for most of the capabilities of this thing, hell I don’t think I’ve ever even used any of the Fitbit apps; but the added health health features of the Seres 6 will make it worthwhile for me. And my wife, well, she’s more of a geek than I am and was just ready for an upgrade.

Got another week now before they’re delivered, so right now I’m just reading up trying to get some ideas for what I’ll actually do with it. Already figured out how to get steps to display in a complication (does anybody know why/how they decided to call those things ‘complications’?). First thing I’m gonna have to get used to is setting a time every day to charge it - I can go 3 or 4 days between with the Fitbit, so I won’t have that luxury any more. And then I just need to see what other goodies I can make use if that I’ve been depriving myself of all these years.

Congratulations to you and your wife on your incoming watches!

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Watches arrived today! 4 days earlier than expected. As noted earlier, this is my first Apple Watch, second for my wife. She jumped right in, and I had done a good bit of reading up so I wasn’t far behind. Zero issues getting things set up, other than a fair bit of time doing the initial sync and OS update. Of course I’ve spent hours now messing with faces and rearranging the app grid, and I’m still not completely happy with how things are laid out, but we’re getting there.

First thing I noticed is, the display is kinda dim, even with the brightness all the way up. I’m hoping this song be a problem trying to see the time in bright sunlight. Is there another setting I’m not seeing, or is this just the way it is?

I also can’t find the exact watch face I’d prefer to use. I’d like a digital time display that’s slightly larger than the ‘standard’ options like Modular, but smaller than the humongous options like Numerals Uno or X-Large, with three or four complications. It took me forever finding the exact one for the Fitbit watch, so I’m expecting a longer search for this one. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look for 3rd party options?

None of these are huge deals … I’m using the Utility III face right now that I can easily live with. Just being my usual obsessive/compulsive self.

3E3E9DE3-64F4-4114-8E7F-1775236B442C.png

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Watches arrived today! 4 days earlier than expected. As noted earlier, this is my first Apple Watch, second for my wife. She jumped right in, and I had done a good bit of reading up so I wasn’t far behind. Zero issues getting things set up, other than a fair bit of time doing the initial sync and OS update. Of course I’ve spent hours now messing with faces and rearranging the app grid, and I’m still not completely happy with how things are laid out, but we’re getting there.

First thing I noticed is, the display is kinda dim, even with the brightness all the way up. I’m hoping this song be a problem trying to see the time in bright sunlight. Is there another setting I’m not seeing, or is this just the way it is?

I also can’t find the exact watch face I’d prefer to use. I’d like a digital time display that’s slightly larger than the ‘standard’ options like Modular, but smaller than the humongous options like Numerals Uno or X-Large, with three or four complications. It took me forever finding the exact one for the Fitbit watch, so I’m expecting a longer search for this one. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look for 3rd party options?

None of these are huge deals … I’m using the Utility III face right now that I can easily live with. Just being my usual obsessive/compulsive self.

View attachment 131067

What an exciting day! I love the Utility III face!

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Really liking this watch so far. First 24 hrs on a full charge, I still had 60% battery left, and that was after a lot of screwing around with the app grid, dock and watch faces. I’m hoping it stays that good!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Anybody have any suggestions on where to look for 3rd party options?

There are no third-party watch faces. What you see in the Watch app under face gallery is what you get.

[FONT=campton light, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I also can’t find the exact watch face I’d prefer to use. I’d like a digital time display that’s slightly larger than the ‘standard’ options like Modular, but smaller than the humongous options like Numerals Uno or X-Large, with three or four complications.
[/FONT]

[FONT=campton light, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]X-Large does have one optional complication that reduces the size of the numbers, and they are larger than Modular or Infograph Modular (or any of the faces that show the digital time.) The complication is super-large, too.[/FONT]

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
There are no third-party watch faces. What you see in the Watch app under face gallery is what you get.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=campton light, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]X-Large does have one optional complication that reduces the size of the numbers, and they are larger than Modular or Infograph Modular (or any of the faces that show the digital time.) The complication is super-large, too.[/FONT]

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I figured that out about 3rd party faces a short time after posting this. Too bad, but on the other hand, I can see how things could quickly get out of control. I’m using a Meridian face now that I like. I can see the hands easily, and I can almost see the complications without my glasses. Date, battery, outside temp, and steps. That works!

I’m also getting outstanding battery life so far. 23 hours in between charges, over two days I had 67% and 70% battery left. Looks like I could get two days out of a charge if I forget. I’m really, really liking this watch, and that’s saying something from a guy who put off smart watches for years.

4E5B8FED-7A01-4B6A-B2C5-70BC66FF95AC.png

xraiderv1

Mar 10, 2020
Visit site
I'm about to buy an SE, my first apple watch, after my refund for a malfunctioning samsung watch goes through...I'm happy with what I'm seeing about the apple watch in general ^^

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77