dropped your iPhone stories, let's hear them

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I dropped my 3G and 3GS all the time, (no major damage), but only dropped my iPhone 4 twice. Both times without a case. Once in Sam's Club checking out a dockable stereo. Pulled it off the dock, and flew out of my hands onto the concrete floor. No damage at all. The second fall was onto the corner of my brick fireplace. Screen has a tiny ding, but nothing major. Both times it felt like I was in a movie... everything was in slow motion. LOL. Since then I put an Otterbox Defender on my phone. Ironically, I haven't dropped it since.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
snow drift

I was in a hurry the other day heading to a Dr's. I arrived and got out of my car and my iPhone4 slipped out of my hand into a snow drift. It was naked ( and I felt that way for a few seconds I might add ) and I was able to get it out of the snow asap. Then the dreaded prompt telling me of excess moisture in my phone. I finally got it dried out and put it in a bowl of rice for a few hours. It is working great.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I had my 3GS for almost 2 years now and just a month or so ago I dropped it from maybe 3 or 4 feet while trying to take it out of my back pocket. It has a incipio rubber case ( the ones that also come with a hard plastic back but didn't have it on at the fall ).

So it slipped out my hand while getting it out of my back pocket , with head phone still attached. I thought the headphones would sort of reduce the velocity since it yanked on my ears as it approached the ground.

Nope. I heard a cringe sound and i knew it cracked. When I looked between my legs I saw that the bottom half of the screen was shattered. I actually didn't fall very fast either way and it fell more so on the left side.

I've dropped my phone from a moving bike on the sidewalk and from at least 7 feet in the air onto hard wood ... both incidents without cases on it and it didn't crack. A soft tumble and there it went. took only a few seconds. Makes me rethink how much cases really protect against falls.

zdkaram#IM

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
I roll naked and suffer from "leave iPhone on my lap while driving and get out and listen to it drop on asphalt syndrome"...Screen has not cracked yet.

With my 3g, I left it on top of my tool box in the bed of my truck and accidentally drove off. I happened to talking on it with my jawbone at the time when suddenly I lost connection as it slid off and fell on the street. As I looked for the iPhone on my lap I realized where I had left it. Picture a guy looking for his iPhone in the middle of a street with traffic.

736dave

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I always have a case. I drop my phones fairly regularly, they are 'working phones' afterall. One didn't even notice I dropped my 3G one rainy Halloween night. Thought it was lost forever. A neighbor asked around and returned it to my sister in law. It came back wet with what looked like tire marks on the case. Would turn on and off but blank display. Took it to apple store (sans case). They listened to my story about it being outside overnight in the rain, checked the water tell-tale marks, and replaced it for me. Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brittanyh

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I roll naked and suffer from "leave iPhone on my lap while driving and get out and listen to it drop on asphalt syndrome"...Screen has not cracked yet.

With my 3g, I left it on top of my tool box in the bed of my truck and accidentally drove off. I happened to talking on it with my jawbone at the time when suddenly I lost connection as it slid off and fell on the street. As I looked for the iPhone on my lap I realized where I had left it. Picture a guy looking for his iPhone in the middle of a street with traffic.

Haha, I have the same syndrome!

I probably would've literally cried if I lost my phone in traffic.

Malefickus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Trying to be confident in my Otterbox Defender, I intentionally dropped mine from about 2.5 feet high to attempt to simulate if i had left it on my lap and got out of my car. No scratches, but the slight impact jarred the screen enough to cause about a half inch solid gray stripe on the left edge of the screen. Seeing as how the case saved the phone from cosmetic damage, I went to an Apple Store to see if they'd replace it. They asked when it started, so I told them last night. They didn't ask anything beyond that and replaced it for free. All this was just this morning.

Phone is only still in Otterbox case because that's better than nothing at all, and I'm waiting until the LifeProof case comes out.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
On the very first day I got the iPhone, it was so hard to just to get it, long story, and when I finally got it, the Verizon guy handed it to me, and it slid right through my hand and landed on the floor. Good thing they had carpets on there. But that was then only time, so far, that I dropped it, knock on wood.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
witnessed a coworker drop her iPhone 4 today on a ceramic tile floor from about 3.5 ft. high. time did stand still..

not a scratch on the outside but her home button works about every 3-4 clicks now. she is out of warranty but does have an upgrade available. good timing??

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I've dropped my iP4 several times onto some kind of padded surface i.e. carpet etc. But about a month ago I was with a customer on their shop floor (concrete), reached into my pocket to retrieve my pen and upon withdrawing my hand & pen, my phone came along for the ride and hit the concrete floor.

Embarrassed by my clumsiness in front of my client, I scooped up the phone put it back in my pocket and went on with my business there.

Upon getting in my vehicle to depart, I pulled my phone out to make a call and that is when I noticed that a corner of the front glass was shattered. The phone still worked but it looked awful.

I brought up the Apple Store App and scheduled a genius bar appointment in an hour. Upon arriving for my genius bar appointment, I admitted that it was my clumsiness but I needed to get my phone fixed. The genius, took the phone, typed into their system the s/n and looked up at me to say, "you know this is not under warranty." I acknowledged that I knew that. He kept typing, turned around, picked up a box with a new phone in it, handed me a service order to sign. I fully expected to pay $199 for the privilege but to my surprise the total was $0.00.

When I asked him what was up with that, his reply was "a guy needs his iPhone." I gratefully thanked him 20 times and departed.

Now that is what I call customer service, and people wonder why I am a fanboi!

Vita-Mind

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Here in Korea, they sell silicon sheaths with a cool tire track print on them for 3G iPhones. Bulky, anything but flush.

My wife got it for me soon after my first drop onto the kitchen's hardwood floor, in which the SIMM card literally flew out of the unit, landing a few feet away. Spooked the heck out of me, but now the tire tracks in my grip feel so perfect...No sliding out of the pocket, ability to stick on an 80˚ angle music stand, and of course, bounce now when dropped.

TamnoLice

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my iPhone 5 times. And on my holiday in Australia I dropped it into the toilet. But thanks to the hair-dryer it still works.

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I've never dropped my iPhone but it lives in a defender case. Once in awhile I take it out to admire it but back in it goes. Hopefully that saves some retail value when I sell it for number 5. I have terrible OCD too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup