Conversation Starter: Helping family and friends figure out their devices

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
A friend and I were chatting about how we go about helping friends and family members to understand how their mobile (iPhone or Android) works, and how to best utilize all the features. We considered all sorts of this chat- what features are and are not essential. We debated where the best place to start "teaching" would be. And, realizing that everyone learns differently, that our help and tutoring would not be the same! In fact, we wondered if it wouldn't be better to drop them off at an Apple Store or Carrier storefront and be done with the whole thing!

So, if you're inclined to join this conversation, how do you go about doing this? What tips do you like to share? I'm sure that we all have at least one person in our lives that gets a new iPhone (or Android) and wants to put our mobile number on speed-dial so that they have 24/7 access to us and our "expert knowledge"!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I’m approached constantly for help setting up and teaching the basics of there devices being Windows laptops, iPhones or Android devices from friends and family

It ends up being a long process for some as I need to repeat a lot of what they learned but I enjoy it most of the time

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
When I helped my dad set up his first iPhone a few years ago, I kept it as simple as possible. I found out what he wanted to use it for, and walked him through the setup. It actually was a smooth process.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Typically, I’ll be in a conversation about something and then someone will say, “I wish I could do that on my iPhone”. I tell them they can and then show them how. After that, they’re amused and so I tell them numerous other things they can do with it. They end up looking at their iPhone as if it were brand new.

Then there’s the other side in which I try to tell certain people the numerous things they can do with their iPhone and they just aren’t interested. They have the iPhone because it’s ..... an iPhone, and as long as they can check Instagram, Facebook and watch YouTube with it, they completely happy with it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Typically, I’ll be in a conversation about something and then someone will say, “I wish I could do that on my iPhone”. I tell them they can and then show them how. After that, they’re amused and so I tell them numerous other things they can do with it. They end up looking at their iPhone as if it were brand new.

Then there’s the other side in which I try to tell certain people the numerous things they can do with their iPhone and they just aren’t interested. They have the iPhone because it’s ..... an iPhone, and as long as they can check Instagram, Facebook and watch YouTube with it, they completely happy with it.

That is exactly right. I have found it's best to let them come to me. Ask what they want to know. My sister, for example, could care less about all the features. If I try and show her stuff that she's not interested in, she doesn't even really pay attention. Helping someone works only when they want to be helped! That is the case for all things in life.

The one thing I do think it is important is to try and convince them that remembering their credentials is important! I have a cousin who simply can't do this. And friends at church... well... 'nuf said! :D

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
That is exactly right. I have found it's best to let them come to me. Ask what they want to know. My sister, for example, could care less about all the features. If I try and show her stuff that she's not interested in, she doesn't even really pay attention. Helping someone works only when they want to be helped! That is the case for all things in life.

The one thing I do think it is important is to try and convince them that remembering their credentials is important! I have a cousin who simply can't do this. And friends at church... well... 'nuf said! :D

Yes I also try and push the saving of credentials and Passwords. I actually keep all my families info In a separate NOTE file

I tend to bring it on myself by constantly updating them with links to up and coming iOS updates and when iOS 14 drops I will be getting a lot of texts about helping them understand the new features that came out

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes I also try and push the saving of credentials and Passwords. I actually keep all my families info In a separate NOTE file

I tend to bring it on myself by constantly updating them with links to up and coming iOS updates and when iOS 14 drops I will be getting a lot of texts about helping them understand the new features that came out

These are all great ideas! If someone shares a password or passcode with me, I jot it down in a separate Note file. It has helped a lot. I will try and remember to send out reminders to them to update their devices!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Being self employed for over 25 years and once helped run a company with multiple employees, I have done my fair share of device set-up for many of my friends, relatives and former employees.

I still have some folks who ask me for help setting up their smartphones and personal computers. I still have an encrypted notes file with login data for some of my best friends and family members who are always forgetting their login information.

I started doing that years ago and it has served me well, especially when a panicked person calls me who has forgotten their login information on a site they haven’t used in a while.

I always tell folks you should have some sort of document with your login information stored in a safe place and keep it updated regularly.

With all these sites requiring changing you password every few months, you soon run out of ones you have already used, so document them and keep them in a safe place or as I do, an encrypted notes file and a hard copy locked in my safe.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup