Welcome to the all-new iMore Forums! - Please report your bugs here!

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
this column or menu on the left side showing 'threads with your posts' etc. seems gone.
I have no idea how to get this back or where to find it.

I have to say, after a couple of weeks of trying to familiarize, I don't like this new forum. Too many issues or uncertainty.
While the old version was fun to stroll around, this one just makes me nervous. My frequency of visits definitely went down.

Old: let's see what's new & interesting.
New: oh well, I think I should go there again and see if I can find something that's new or interesting.

Sorry.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
No.
I'm well aware of such hamburger menus.
When I clicked it, an empty area on the left side of the screen opened.
As stated before, it's now back and I don't know why.

I would like to add that I'm on a Macbook with the latest OS version installed, and Safari.
I think that a site with mostly Apple related topics should work at the very best in an Apple ecosystem.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
well, it happened again.
I came from the iMore main page and used the link to the forums in the top menu bar.
There is this empty menu area on the left side again, and no way seems to work to get the menu back.
Clicking the hamburger, the only thing that happens is that the empty area goes on or off.

menu.jpeg

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
well, it happened again.
I came from the iMore main page and used the link to the forums in the top menu bar.
There is this empty menu area on the left side again, and no way seems to work to get the menu back.
Clicking the hamburger, the only thing that happens is that the empty area goes on or off.

View attachment 132442

Restarting Safari brought the menu back.
It sounds like you have something on Safari interfering with page execution.

One thing you could try is opening the developer Console, clearing it and then trying to click on the hamburger menu to see if any errors are generated.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with the developer console but tried it anyway.
There are lots of error messages but maybe due to me having rejected all cookies in the prompt (the messages sound like that).
But right now, I can't reproduce the problem anyway, the hamburger menu always shows, regardless of where I come from.
If it reoccurs I will look into the console again.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
1. cookie prompt madness started again, after it was off for a few days. No restart of Safari or Mac, no other things done in between
2. Forum menu disappeared again. Opened console but nothing showed.
3. back to iMore homepage via iMore link in the forums left upper corner.
4. imore homepage no longer allowed for scrolling up or down (also see my desription of this issue in thread No More Scrolling Possible on iMore Pages & Subpages )
5. console showed nothing or some meaningless messages
6. only Safari restart fixed everything
7. frustrated

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
"loaded https://www.imore.com/"

or

loaded [...forums address...]

or

empty console
By any chance, did it look like the bottom half of the screenshot below?
Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 13.33.09.png

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
if I remember correctly, this was one of the messages that showed in certain situations.
The issue is, I cannot have the console open all of the time, so it's difficult to document a problem right when it happens.

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
if I remember correctly, this was one of the messages that showed in certain situations.
The issue is, I cannot have the console open all of the time, so it's difficult to document a problem right when it happens.
Are you running any add-ons in Safari? I'm on a M1 Mac mini with Ventura 13.3.1 and Safari 16.4 and have yet to run into any of the issue you've been seeing. From the sounds of it, you're using something that is blocking cookies/ads/javascript in some way. The sidebar is just javascript and a cookie to control wether or not it's open or closed, it's not even anything fancy. However, ad blockers and privacy protection add-ons are known to block such items erroneously.

Reactions: EdwinG

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Are you running any add-ons in Safari? I'm on a M1 Mac mini with Ventura 13.3.1 and Safari 16.4 and have yet to run into any of the issue you've been seeing. From the sounds of it, you're using something that is blocking cookies/ads/javascript in some way. The sidebar is just javascript and a cookie to control wether or not it's open or closed, it's not even anything fancy. However, ad blockers and privacy protection add-ons are known to block such items erroneously.
what I have is Bitwarden and Save to Pocket.
I've had them since years and they never caused any problems.
I don't even have the built in cookie blocker active, as it prevents some sites to function properly. Which, in return, drives me crazy with its total cookie prompt idiocy. Why do I have to 'reject all' over and over and over again, when returning to the previous page? Etc. An iMore only!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77