Battery life issues?

tbond669

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I am a first time iphone user...coming from android where I went thru a Droid Incredible & Droid X...I can honestly say one of the big motivations for coming to apple was the battery life on top of several other cool features. I have to say my battery so far with the 4s hasn't seemed to be doing that great but again I am a novice concerning the iphones...Kind of wanting to know your guys take...I have notifications set to check every hr...wi-fi, GPS (except for find my phone) & blue tooth off. I started this morning @ 6:25AM @ 100% battery...I have sent a few texts (6) ,gotten my hourly notifications, no calls & sent one tweet & my battery is setting at 80% as of 11:12AM cst... so mostly standby time..my phone is in my classroom getting only 1 bar though...what would you guys analysis be?

On another note...I love everything so far with my iphone so far...really wonderful device...really awesome device..makes me want to trade in my xoom for an ipad 2...haha

BMWGSrider

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I sort of doubted what I have read about the battery improving. I picked up my 4S last Friday and didn't charge it until Saturday. The battery seemed to draw down rather quickly at first. I would take it off the charger in the morning and without much use a couple of hours later it would be down to 90%. I let the phone get down to 1% a couple of times the last few days and then fully charged it. Today, seemingly all of a sudden the battery seems to be holding up much better. It's been off the charger for a few hours, and with a similar amount of use it's still at 100%. I'm hoping this will continue.

tbond669

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it actually kind of jumps around..at my podium it has like 2 bars...then at my desk it jumps between 1 & none some ...have sent 2 more tweets..1 text & got my notifications as well as using tapatalk for this doing hall duty where I have 3 bars & I'm down to 75% in 20 min...

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i noticed after i disabled siri, my battery life got better. [i never used siri that much anyway] anybody else wanna try and confirm?

I will try this today, and report back..I don't think i'd use it much, if it ends up not making a difference i'll turn it back on.

I can't believe that any android device gets that much battery life lol, are you closing background apps that are no longer in use, are you disabling the automatic light adjusting, turning off wifi when not needed, disabling location services & etc

Hmm i thought i read somewhere that the automatic light adjusting helps save battery..So i left it on, I just turned it off so we'll see.

Please note.. if you iPhone 4S more warm than usual there are something wrong and will eat your battery much faster.... our tips is simple.. try to close all apps and hard reset (hold power and home button until Apple Logo appear)

I noticed it was warm, after i used it for a good ten or so min, browsing, texting, emailing..But at the same time it was also weak in service, and 3g was cutting in and out.

I noticed when the phone is charging and i'm using it, the phone, and the charger itsself (where it plugs into the outlet) get really hot..Almost like a laptop charger.

My phone has been unplugged for about 47 min i think and after playing a quick game, email, sending texts, surfing the web its at 90%.

Edit - Whopps..2 hours and 47 min. its been unplugged

I just turned Siri off, and the Auto brightness..So lets see!

Last edited:

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit confused about the charge cycles. When I have it fully charged and let it go till it shut offs then charge it up again fully that is one cycle. What of I have it at 100 and let it to to 30% then charge it to 100. Does that also equal one cycle?

No. A full cycle would be if you discharge it to 30% one day, then 70% the next day. For the average user, my guess is the iPhone battery should last ~1.5 yrs. of normal use before you notice lower capacity.
A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles.

ccsuwxman

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Still Going...

Went to bed last night around 11:30 pm at 97%. Woke up this morning at 7:45 am with 93%. So far I have no battery complaints. Seems pretty similar to my old 3GS.

Now 1 PM EDT. Made a few phone calls. Typed in a few notes to the cloud. Looked at a couple websites, and I still have 85% battery power (see my quote above). So I guess I don't have a problem here, do I?

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Now 1 PM EDT. Made a few phone calls. Typed in a few notes to the cloud. Looked at a couple websites, and I still have 85% battery power (see my quote above). So I guess I don't have a problem here, do I?

Lucky..I've been using my phone for about 3 hours, and I'm at 86%..Then again i've been messing with it trying to turn things off..so we'll see.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
FYI, this is my second 4s but the first one had dead pixel and the battery was noticeably bad compare to iPhone 4. My replacement 4s battery is back to normal and it is dramatically better than the first. I ran my phone full brightness yesterday no autodim and it still lasted me a whole day of regular usage. The first one could not even last a day with normal usage. So my point is if your battery is bad replace it! It will not get any better. My battery was awesome from the moment I first used it. This replacement even has a better battery than my iPhone 4. I have not calibrated the phone, not sure if it matters I'm happy now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Caballera

mossyoak

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
i unplug mine daily at 630 am and a pretty heavy user throughout the day, i have wifi on even though ts not connected while I'm at work and my screen is set to how it came out of the box. Mine has been going to about 20% around 530 or 6 pm. i charge it for about 15- 20 min and that last me till about 1130 ish and its at 20% again. But like i said I'm a pretty heavy user as its a new device for me and I'm always playing with something or downloading a lot of apps. This battery life is no different than the droid x that i came from.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I usually do a little "battery seasoning" and while most say that's not necessary, I feel like it REALLY does make a difference. I kill it dead after the first 100% charge. I then use it again til dead or 2% or so, charge it back up. I do it at least once more. I usually get 2-3 days from a full charge. I don't constantly use mine though. I always recharge at night when traveling though no matter what.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So today is the first day since i got the phone that i put it through its paces using the tethering feature...and the battery life while tethering is absolutely horrendous...it is dramatically worse than my iPhone 4 while tethering.

chris_ziko

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm having really bad baterry life compared to what my IPhone 4 was a few months ago. My iPhone 4 would barely last me threw out the day and when i got my 4S, I am experiencing just as bad. I have brightness up to 75%, wifi always off, never play games but constantly on the web and listening music with my iPod app. My old iPhone I would occasionally have 35% by 12 o'clock and this is with me taking it off the charger at 8am. Now when I take it off at 9am, I get down to about 5% and it's only 10 o'clock. Was my old iPhone battery just a freak of nature?

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My main concern is running out of charging cycles. Normally with other phones I would unplug around 7:30 AM, use it throughout the day, charge it in the middle of the day to top it off and by 11 or so I would plug it back in so I would have a full battery in the morning. From what I've been reading that type of routine would use up charging cycles and the battery would only be useful for a little over a year. I know that I have applecare but I don't want to have to go get my battery replaced after only a year. Right now my phone is around 50-60%, normally I would plug it in now but now having an iPhone I don't know what to do.

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Background crap

Mine has improved over a few days by turning off some the unneccsary location settings and notifications. Siri is definitely a drain if uses a lot. I've never had an iPhone before but coming off Blackberry for years to Android for a few months now to iPhone, I've seen the best to the worst to somewhere in the middle on battery life. I wish apple had gone with a slightly thicker phone with a bigger battery. I would have sacrificed on device size I bought a mophie juice case so now I have no worries about the battery. :)

KhalilAlkak

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had particularly good battery life but I noticed that when I plug it, it charges super fast. I plug ,y phone in last night when battery was at 30%, went outside for a cigar, came back in an hour later and it was charged back up to almost 70%. I guess that's a positive.

This is normal:D
actually it gets to 85% in 1.5hours and then takes another 1.5hours to get full.

stevedabomb

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been having the same issues with my 4S. My 4 did not have these problems. I ran a test last night. I use my phone as an alarm. The other night it was at 100%. I woke up and it was in the 60's. The last night I slapped the phone in airplane mode and went to bed. It was 100% when I went to bed an 98% when I woke up. Now I have no cell service in my house and I know its probably constantly searching for service. To drop 40% overnight without touching it is ridiculous. My 4 would drop 5-7% at most. This must be related to siri or something else that is activated on the 4S over the 4.

tbond669

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I am a first time iphone user...coming from android where I went thru a Droid Incredible & Droid X...I can honestly say one of the big motivations for coming to apple was the battery life on top of several other cool features. I have to say my battery so far with the 4s hasn't seemed to be doing that great but again I am a novice concerning the iphones...Kind of wanting to know your guys take...I have notifications set to check every hr...wi-fi, GPS (except for find my phone) & blue tooth off. I started this morning @ 6:25AM @ 100% battery...I have sent a few texts (6) ,gotten my hourly notifications, no calls & sent one tweet & my battery is setting at 80% as of 11:12AM cst... so mostly standby time..my phone is in my classroom getting only 1 bar though...what would you guys analysis be?

On another note...I love everything so far with my iphone so far...really wonderful device...really awesome device..makes me want to trade in my xoom for an ipad 2...haha

Here it is a little over 2 hrs later...I went from 80% to 58%...updated one app, sent 7 texts & 5 tweets, sent 1 email, used tapatalk for about 5 minutes & have had 2 notification updates...no sirri used...screen on auto & vibrate & sound turned off...1 hr & 20min in a 1 reception bar area & 40 min or so in a 3 bar area...any thoughts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien