Battery Protect

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsung has a Battery Protect feature on the Z Fold³, Z Flip³, and, as I understand it, some of their tablets. This feature limits your battery charge to 85% in order to increase the overall battery lifespan. I love my iPhones and feel like all phones should have this feature and hope to see iOS adopt it. My iPhone 12 Mini is a great little phone but it's one Achilles heel is its small battery...that has to be charged more often...thus shortening it's overall lifespan. Battery Protect would help with this as it's hard to always pull a phone off the charger at the recommended 80-85% charge.

Long live the batteries !!
0e710315831243790247689c47262bdf.jpg

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Lol. My Samsung phones don’t charge past 85% at all ever unless I turn Protect Battery off. …but its awesome to know Apple has considered it too because my 12 Mini certainly has to be charged more often.

The 12 mini certainly isn’t a 13 pro max, it has a rather small battery.

Technically speaking Apple introduced the feature in iOS 13 2 years ago and Samsung copied it this year, so I wouldn’t call it a consideration.

I would also be careful with your fold device, dropping it might puncture the battery.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
They do, and after 8 months, my iPhone 12 Pro Max (before I traded it in for my 13 Pro Max) still had 100% battery capacity.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I try to catch my iphones (Xr, 12 Mini, and 12Pro Max) before they reach full charge. I normally catch them somewhere between 80-90% charge and I’m confident the batteries will give me decent life for the ~1 year I’ll have them. If I ever do drop one of my Galaxy Fold3’s a punctured battery would only be one of several significant concerns but I expect they’ll last the ~1 year I plan to have them as well. They’re more durable than I thought bust still not as much as a non-folding device.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don’t really understand the premise of this thread ! I want my fully charged phone to last as long as possible before needing to be put on the charger again. The point of having the thing is not for me to obsess about how long the battery life is ! I will get a new battery fitted when it gets below 80% compared to as new. The “hidden” top end of batteries is important, a new phone will stay at “100%” for about 20 minutes video play if properly charged, so your phone needs to be run up to 100% plus 20 minutes to get the longest working life out of a charge.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I don’t really understand the premise of this thread ! I want my fully charged phone to last as long as possible before needing to be put on the charger again. The point of having the thing is not for me to obsess about how long the battery life is ! I will get a new battery fitted when it gets below 80% compared to as new. The “hidden” top end of batteries is important, a new phone will stay at “100%” for about 20 minutes video play if properly charged, so your phone needs to be run up to 100% plus 20 minutes to get the longest working life out of a charge.

So here we are, nearly a year later. The premise for me is that I want anything I get to remain in as close to “new” condition as long as possible. …been that way since birth, perhaps its a birth-defect.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
So here we are, nearly a year later. The premise for me is that I want anything I get to remain in as close to “new” condition as long as possible. …been that way since birth, perhaps its a birth-defect.

I completely understand this! :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Do you also use Low Power Mode? I don't think optimized charging makes much difference in battery life for the reason you state. There's better ways to manage battery. Keep in mind, the big 3 battery users are Screen Brightness, Location Services, and Push Notifications. Reduce those as much as possible. I never use optimize charging, and my 12 Pro Max is at 91% battery health after more than 2 years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77