Should I Wait or Not?
Hey everyone, I have recently started College (UK) doing an IT Course, amongst doing the course and working I feel I am missing out on time not doing the work due to waiting around and doing nothing as it is all on the computer. So an epiphany occurred now I have a job, why don't I save up for an iPad due to its portability, iWork apps and decent battery life I can do work whilst waiting for the train, on the train, at work. I originally foresaw not being able to purchase one until 2011, however it may be possible to buy one next month, however amongst all the rumours of the next iPad, which is inevitable, I am not sure whether to wait or get it ASAP.
The main use of the iPad would be for college work, typing up assignments, taking down notes etc, it would also be used for play and I can see it being used quite a bit at home when showing parents new things etc. The college system does not allow me to use AirPrint, I have asked the college's IT Services and with more details on how it runs on Windows PC's I know that it will not be possible, or is very improbably as we have Macs in the LRC, however I doubt printer sharing is turned on.
I know what I am like and either way I am going to regret it for some reason, get it now and the new one will look better, be better and I will regret not getting it, if I wait it may not be used as much for college work and I would regret not getting a netbook or something, which I hate after using them at College.
Those who have iPad's please help me sort out my dilemma with what you like about it, what you hate about it etc.
PS. Does anyone know of the best home-made stylus for writing etc looking on youtube and they look like they are going to scratch the screen or aren't suitable for writing.
- 10-01-2010, 07:32 AM #2
Sounds like you wont be needing anything more than what the iPad can do now. If you are feeling the need, then go get it. Next generation would perhaps support flash, or will come with a built cam and what nots.
I had the same same dilemma before getting my iPad but I needed it more than ever. I can always sell it whenever a new model comes out and most often than not, they are always cheaper.
- 10-01-2010, 12:36 PM #3
I agree that if you are really ready to get going then get one now and if/when you decide you have to have the newer model then sell the older one to help make up the difference of cost. No matter when you buy one there will always be a next generation so you will forever be in a waiting game. I never buy an electronic device thinking it will be my last or the best. Like a car, it starts losing value as soon as it's purchased because they are always building a newer, faster, better one.
- 10-01-2010, 01:23 PM #4
- 10-01-2010, 01:55 PM #5
I agree with Smlk. When Apples does release the next version and if the next version is a major improvement you can always sell the first gen and get the new.
I say buy it. Enjoy it. And if you regret getting it when the next version is released I'm sure you won't have a difficult time selling it.
- 10-01-2010, 02:40 PM #7TiPb Fourm Staff
- 1,695 Posts
When the iPhone 4 got leaked, 3GS prices tanked and the i4 had not even been announced yet.
So basically I'm saying you are taking a risk but in the end you should be fine.
- 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM #8
- 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM #9TiPb Fourm Staff
- 1,695 Posts
Yet I had terrible luck with the 3GS as every person I talked with knew about the iPhone 4 and didn't want to pay what the 3GSs were going for before the i4 got leaked.
Simply put, its all about luck unless you're dealing to people who don't know what phone is coming out, or what the true value is.
- 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM #10
- 10-02-2010, 03:26 AM #11iPhone Nanite
- 2 Posts
iPad 2 roundup: Camera, mini USB, thinner and ships Q2 of 2011
Analysts over at Goldman Sachs have claimed that Apple is going to release a refresh to its iPad that is going to be a 9.7 inch tablet instead of a rumored 7 inch one. It is going to have a built in camera (for Facetime), a mini USB port and is going be thinner than the previous model. They have also speculated it to be coming out at the second quarter of next year.
Last edited by Techinsider; 10-02-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: added source
Well if those rumours do become true, then I may just get one now, second quarter is too far away and if I were to use facetime it would be on the phone, when other companies take up the standard, atm theres no one I want to talk to that can do so over facetime
- 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM #13
- 10-10-2010, 01:48 PM #14