Buying an iMac for kids school

got berry

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I am buying an iMac for my kids to use, mostly for school. I want to future proof it as much as possible so that my youngest who is in 7th grade can finish out High School and maybe even into college with this computer and I don't have to worry about it not having enough memory or storage. I think the base 8 core CPU and GPU will be enough. I think it would be worth the upgrade to the 16Gb memory but the 24gb wouldn't be necessary. Also I think it would be worth maxing out the memory to the 1TB. Is it just best to max it all out? I appreciate any thoughts and advise.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am buying an iMac for my kids to use, mostly for school. I want to future proof it as much as possible so that my youngest who is in 7th grade can finish out High School and maybe even into college with this computer and I don't have to worry about it not having enough memory or storage. I think the base 8 core CPU and GPU will be enough. I think it would be worth the upgrade to the 16Gb memory but the 24gb wouldn't be necessary. Also I think it would be worth maxing out the memory to the 1TB. Is it just best to max it all out? I appreciate any thoughts and advise.

It seems like you’ve already made up your mind on what to get so go with it. Your plan seems solid to me.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Your plan sounds good.

On storage, it will depend on what your kids want to study.
If they go into legal, you don’t need a lot of it. If they go into design, they will need a lot.
500GB would be a sensible middle ground.

Also, universities might require the use of Intel/AMD systems. particularly in ICT to run virtual machines, so they still might need a non-Apple computer for that.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If your school district does not issue Chromebooks, then considering a MacBook Air or Pro laptop may be an option. iMac are more like a desktop computer, so not as easy to move around. Once at home, the laptop could be connected to an external monitor if more screen is needed.

kayuster

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Your plan sounds good.

On storage, it will depend on what your kids want to study.
If they go into legal, you don’t need a lot of it. If they go into design, they will need a lot.
500GB would be a sensible middle ground.

Also, universities might require the use of Intel/AMD systems. particularly in ICT to run virtual machines, so they still might need a non-Apple computer for that.

I want to add. Of course, almost everything is already sold with an SSD, but it's better to double-check. It's really faster. And about 16 GB, personally, I sometimes run out if I have many tabs open. These modern browsers have requirements like terrorists.

The digital world surrounds. But I can optimize my academic life with https://ca.edubirdie.com/essay-writing-help which works on any os. It makes studying easier by saving time and nerves.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwinG

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77