iPad quick review...post yours!

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
...so I got an iPad, mostly on a "why not" basis, since I thought to myself that I could always sell it. (for profit even) I also was somewhat cynical and suspicious before getting it. In fact, I almost walked away from the store when one of the Apple employees announced that it would take at least 2 hours to get one, and that there might not even be enough for everyone.

But now...I can surf the web while in bed, lying on my side, sitting in my lounge chair, curled up on the sofa, and in many places where I wouldn't want to drag my laptop with me. I feel "more connected" to the Internet and my email, etc., even though I'm constantly online for work (and pleasure :D). It also replaces some of the time that I would otherwise spend sitting in front of my computer, including even my laptop.

I definitely think that it will make a *lot* of "believers" out of many people like me who initially said "Pfff...I don't need this, whatever...". And that's still true. You don't need an iPad. But you'll want one. Anyone who hasn't touched one and played around with one cannot really have an opinion as to whether or not they will like it, in my opinion.

I'm also fairly certain that once we will have used it for a while, we will *not* want to give it back. This thing will inevitably grow on us, especially considering because for one, the (iPad) App Store will grow rapidly, and with it, usability and enjoyment of the device is set to go up every time a developer hits the "Submit to App Store" button. And for another, the OS will improve the device incrementally as well as add new core functionality to it.

And I haven't even mentioned the possibility of Jailbreak yet...:D (nor am I an Apple "fanboy")

So how do you like yours? Intrigued? Surprised? Disappointed? Annoyed? I consider myself pleasantly surprised. ;)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Here's mine i guess.

After the desire to try the multtouch experience on this thing, the rush is dying down where i can be more objective.

1. Is it a big ipod touch? Sure feels that way. Web Browsing is a bit slow compared to a small laptop like a 400 dollar acer 1410 (11.6" HD screen btw). Perhaps because you're not going to mobile sites but full sites. E-reading is superb. Video is...ok but for a device like this..it should be better. For all the talk of abc apps and netflix, you get all this on a similar priced device like the acer 1410. Bottom line, it feels like using a large ipod touch.

2. E-reader is great. But 259 gets you a Kindle.

3. You HAVE (yes have) to buy new apps all over again for the most part unless your favorite iphone app's dev decides to do universal binary. I'm not finding that many devs doing that for my iphone apps. This will get expensive quick. And it's not that simple to keep track if you got hundreds of iphone apps. Where's the advantage of being in the ecosystem since i own an iphone?

4. Videos don't look the best in SD. And even worse at iphone res. Now you need to store another copy. And makes things more complicated to keep track of.

5. Headjack placement sucks.

6. Many thought this was a couch potato device. But i still find myself watching tv on the big tv or going to the desktop to do some fast surfing, work, or whatever with the 27" monitor. I might read a book on the iPad while on the couch but the web experience isn't THAT much better than the iphone's.

7. These newspaper apps want to charge me? USAtoday for instance says theirs won't be free much longer. Well screw that. I don't need a USA today iPad app then. For that matter, i'm not all that taken with these apps that want to look like real newspapers. Am i just too used to mobile app or going to their website?

8. Games look good. But then again, the iphone's games are enough for me.

9. This seems like something i'd want if on a plane or traveling a lot. At home i don't really need it too much since i got a tv, a small laptop, or desktop or kindle, or iphone, or wife's Pre, or.. But yeah, not a couch potato device but something i want to use away from home.

10. I couldn't hope to replace anything beyond a kindle or an ipod touch with this. Add both those devices together and its about 499. I wouldn't pay much more than that.

If anyone asked me which to get, i'd say the 16gb one. But if you own an iphone, you may not even want one... Iphone does it all, has more apps, better apps because of the camera & gps, etc. The OS just works better on the iphone.

I'm still mixed if i want to keep or not. So i'm not buying too many apps yet. And as luck would have it, there's a little iphone OS event this Thursday to help me with my decision.

BTW..my 3yr old daughter LOVES it. Not many games on there for her yet. But seems overkill next to her cheaper ipod touch (which already seemed like overkill..lol).

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'll give you that but battery life is approaching that on most laptops. Not instant on, but close the lid and it "sleeps" but still takes a moment to "awaken"

Anyways, look at most of the reviews so far. A few games at 10.00 or so usually. Apple's poor attempt at office apps (iWork). Netflix. ABC. All this stuff is easily had, mostly for free, on windows.

I think we kind of forget what made iphone OS appealing. Internet in your pocket. I'm just not sure about how appealing it is on a 10" device. Maybe it'll grow on me.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
A lot of interesting and good points, cardfan, but now that I've handled an iPad, the last thing I'd want to do is pick up a netbook to surf the web, view movies or photos, or even email. The whole reason why the iPad appeals to me (and is also the point made by Jobs) is the same reason the iPhone is so successful -- user interface. Rather than cram a full Windows OS onto an iddy-biddy 10-inch netbook screen, Apple has provided their ultra-friendly touch interface that makes using a smaller device so much easier. Even with the shortcomings of the iPad, I'm confident that incremental updates and app developers will help to create a device that truly replaces the laptop.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
The thing fits perfectly on a treadmill stand. So I have started streaming movies on it while I run.

For my job, I don't sit in front of a computer all day like a lot of people so it is perfect for me in that respect. So I can understand the desire for people to justify this purchase.

One thing about it though that no one can deny or maybe two things that apple claimed in their presentation of it that is true is speed and battery life. Both are many levels of awesome. I've been using it almost non stop since 7am this morning and it is at 66%. And the speed is very impressive. I hope third party multitasking doesn't slow it down too much.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
A lot of interesting and good points, cardfan, but now that I've handled an iPad, the last thing I'd want to do is pick up a netbook to surf the web, view movies or photos, or even email. The whole reason why the iPad appeals to me (and is also the point made by Jobs) is the same reason the iPhone is so successful -- user interface. Rather than cram a full Windows OS onto an iddy-biddy 10-inch netbook screen, Apple has provided their ultra-friendly touch interface that makes using a smaller device so much easier. Even with the shortcomings of the iPad, I'm confident that incremental updates and app developers will help to create a device that truly replaces the laptop.

Keep in mind i was careful not to say netbook. I've used them and don't care for em. I meant small laptop (11.6" - 13") though the line is blurry between them.

I guess in the end, there's genuine excitement or anticipation to use an iPad. Not so for a laptop. Hard to explain to those who are ate up with features & specs.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Keep in mind i was careful not to say netbook. I've used them and don't care for em. I meant small laptop (11.6" - 13") though the line is blurry between them.

I guess in the end, there's genuine excitement or anticipation to use an iPad. Not so for a laptop. Hard to explain to those who are ate up with features & specs.

Oops, my apologies. Netbook aside, I think it's the form factor, instant-on/ instant-off, and touch interface that's really attractive to people. For more serious computer users that need the ability to create, edit and print/send docs, I'm holding onto hope that future updates, 3rd party apps and even next iPad iterations will firmly place the iPad into the mainstream as a serious business contender.

ronarchy

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
After three daysofownership, I have not convinced myself to keep my iPad, either. So far, I agree with everything that Cardfan said in his/her initial review with the addition that the freaking space bar only working 1/3 of the time is about to drive me crazy! I also was not impressed with the pages app and feel it was a waste of $10. Of course, that could change in a month or so when I have to travel a lot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2