Restore Jailbroken Backup Question?????

xtreme469

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

If i make a back up of my iPhone 5 while it is jailbroken through iTunes, If i restore it through iTunes will it still be jailbroken? Or will I have to re-jailbreak it?

Thanx,
R.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
There is a slight chance of something weird happening. I've had a couple of cases where some settings that I've made using jailbreak methods "stick" after going back to a fresh restore from backup.

For example, I remember one time when I had a phone that supposedly was not capable of displaying the battery percentage while stock, so I used a Cydia tweak to enable it. When I restored from backup, the phone was still able to display the battery percentage even though it wasn't supposed to.

I've also seen problems with the camera roll on my wife's phone, since she used to insist in restoring from a backup.

In my opinion, it's not worth it. I always set my phone up as new every time I restore, and I never have any weird problems - unless I do them myself...

xtreme469

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh OK Thanks for the info. One last question if i set it up as new then restore to the backup is that the same as just restoring to from backup? Does that defeat the purpose of restoring to new?

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I think that it's the same thing, but it saves you a step.

It's been so long since I've not been jailbroken that I never really have any reason to restore from a backup. I keep them around, in case I need them in an emergency, but I always go from one jailbroken device to another.

Before I update, I save my camera roll to my computer. Then I use "DataDeposit" from Cydia to back up any data from App Store apps to DropBox. To be perfectly honest, there aren't a lot of apps that need backing up, mostly games and the occasional odd app that doesn't store the data somewhere in the cloud. I usually don't care about Messages backups.

I restore the phone as new, then enter my iCloud ID when going through the setup screens. After I Jailbreak the phone again, I just install DataDeposit again to restore any App Store data when I reinstall an app has backed up data. Sometimes they don't get reinstalled for a long time, so it's like spring cleaning.

If you've got a lot of email accounts or VPN settings, you should check out the iPhone Configuration Utility. You can set everything up on your computer with its real keyboard, then push it all onto your phone. Makes setting up a new phone rather painless.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77