Use Different Account to Activate Unlocked iPhone 7

drooggie

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
My iPhone 5c is currently supplied by my company and I am on their corporate account. I can?t get a new iPhone 7 through the company (cost cutting) but I can buy an unlocked version and they will swap it in for the 5c.

The problem is that I am currently on the company's T-Mobile account and want to switch to Verizon as it has better coverage where I live and is also the provider for my family?s cell phones. I don?t want the T-Mobile version (the easy route) as it is not fully compatible with the Verizon network in the USA. On the Apple website, you must enter an existing cell phone number to complete the purchase. So, as I am impatient and do not want to wait several months until you can buy carrier free version, I am looking for alternative ways.

One idea I have is to enter my wife?s iPhone # during the checkout but then use the phone when received as described above with my company?s account. Note, my company will take care of getting a new Verizon sim card and will port my T-Mobile number over.

Will that work? Does Verizon care if my wife?s phone continues to use the existing model and sim card (ie, never activate on my personal account)? I assume I would be out the $20 upgrade fee. Any other issues I am not aware of?

Thanks

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You activate it with the new sim supplied when you get the phone, once active you can swap sims to the one you wish to use.

drooggie

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. What happens with my wife's phone - can it still use the existing SIM or will I need to swap in the new one? Not sure if billing is tied to a particular SIM card.

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if this information helps you at all but I ordered an upgrade on my mom's line and put the sim from my phone in there. We traded in her iPhone 6. I gave her my old 6s and took the 7 just by swapping sims. The upgrade and payment are still showing on her line and her sim never went into the phone.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You can also use your wife's existing sim to activate the Verizon phone. Alternatively, you can reserve a Verizon phone at the Apple Store and pay full price for it. Then you can activate it with any sim you want. I ended up getting a Verizon phone and activated it with my ATT sim with no issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2