WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Went to the other side for about 3 weeks. Got the S4 really liked the phone. Probably the best android phone I've used. Didn't have any problems was really fun to use BUT I got a data alert. That phone was killing my data plan. I called Verizon and asked what was going on. They were with a lose for words. I'm on wifi all day except for when I go to work. My fianc? and I both have iPhones and never went past 4gb but with the S4 alone I was almost to 4 by myself. I took it back and got the 5. Never leaving again.

Tapped out on my iPhone 5

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
While I think you made a better decision coming back to the iPhone, I don't think your data issue was a problem with the Galaxy S 4...many of us have had data consumption issues after switching to the iPhone 5 off and on since last October. It has to do with the LTE networks from the carriers, and their inability to control how the devices are connecting to them or when or for what reason.

The carriers are the problem here, not the devices.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Yup

While I think you made a better decision coming back to the iPhone, I don't think your data issue was a problem with the Galaxy S 4...many of us have had data consumption issues after switching to the iPhone 5 off and on since last October. It has to do with the LTE networks from the carriers, and their inability to control how the devices are connecting to them or when or for what reason.

The carriers are the problem here, not the devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement with Sean. I, too, doubt that it was the fault of the S4, but welcome back to iPhone anyway...:)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing is that the carriers are FULLY aware there is a data consumption issue on all of the networks that limit such...we never talked about data overages in generations past because A.) 3G service, by nature of it's speed, is not going to allow the consumer to use as much data...LTE is fast, therefore we browse/DL/use more of the data because we're doing more things...and B.) They were running unlimited data plans for so many people that the backlash wasn't as frequent...they could give a "one time credit" over and over again and the ripples never grew into waves...

Now...they have the equivalent of a customer complaint TSUNAMI. A buddy of mine who works part time at a kiosk that sells phones for various carriers says his #1 customer service complaint or inquiry has to do with data overages and the cost related to such.

The carriers HAVE to do something about it...if they wait too long (which they assuredly will), they'll eventually have a civic suit against ALL of them the size of the damn moon, and they'll lose because it'll probably take an investigative team all of 5sec. to realize they were just ignoring the obvious issues with the way their data services were being counted internally.

Devious, money hungry carriers that would rather pi*s off consumers than fix an obvious issue because they know that most of them are not going to jump ship, they'll just call in, take the occasional credit...sometimes just pay for the overages...and they get to profit a little more of something that essentially costs them nothing extra.

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The sad thing is that the carriers are FULLY aware there is a data consumption issue on all of the networks that limit such...we never talked about data overages in generations past because A.) 3G service, by nature of it's speed, is not going to allow the consumer to use as much data...LTE is fast, therefore we browse/DL/use more of the data because we're doing more things...and B.) They were running unlimited data plans for so many people that the backlash wasn't as frequent...they could give a "one time credit" over and over again and the ripples never grew into waves...

Now...they have the equivalent of a customer complaint TSUNAMI. A buddy of mine who works part time at a kiosk that sells phones for various carriers says his #1 customer service complaint or inquiry has to do with data overages and the cost related to such.

The carriers HAVE to do something about it...if they wait too long (which they assuredly will), they'll eventually have a civic suit against ALL of them the size of the damn moon, and they'll lose because it'll probably take an investigative team all of 5sec. to realize they were just ignoring the obvious issues with the way their data services were being counted internally.

Devious, money hungry carriers that would rather pi*s off consumers than fix an obvious issue because they know that most of them are not going to jump ship, they'll just call in, take the occasional credit...sometimes just pay for the overages...and they get to profit a little more of something that essentially costs them nothing extra.

Yeah when I called Verizon they said we will note it in ur account if u go over we will not charge u for it. They couldn't figure out why I was using so much data in such a short span. I remember when the 5 first came out Verizon was charging for data if u were on wifi. So maybe this is happening again. My plan is at 5gb right not I've got the 6gb plan. It resets the 3rd so hopefully next month it'll be back to normal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah when I called Verizon they said we will note it in ur account if u go over we will not charge u for it. They couldn't figure out why I was using so much data in such a short span. I remember when the 5 first came out Verizon was charging for data if u were on wifi. So maybe this is happening again. My plan is at 5gb right not I've got the 6gb plan. It resets the 3rd so hopefully next month it'll be back to normal.

They can never figure out why...and the reason is because they don't allow the "why" to be found, that way their consumer tech and customer support people have plausible deniability. The issue is deep rooted by the people who designed the way data is charged...and they have extensive mathematical formulas that, for lack of better term, keep the money flowing in their benefit. Say 90% of the customer base calls in and asks for credit when these unjustified or extensive overages happen...and they credit all 90% of them (which doesn't happen, but we'll say it does for the sake of argument)...they're still left with 10% of the customer base paying overage fees without action. Now thinking of the total amount of customers, imagine the kind of money they are making just off the people who DON'T respond to these overages and just go about their business paying for data they arnt even really justifiably using themselves (in the way data is used on a smart phone).

It's staggering...and despicable. It's stealing for all intents and purposes, but it's done under the facade that "mysteriously", none of them can figure out why it's happening. Really? They have people who figure out how much water a toilet is using in a bathroom that only 5 people per year probably go into...and they can't figure out where data is going from billions of people around the world? LOL! Right.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The screen on the S4 is beautiful but the camera is no where near as nice as the iPhone 5's. The S4's camera has lag when taking a photo and sometimes the photos don't come out so well. As far as the screen size goes this is where apple needs to be at this point and time. For apple to continue to produce just smaller devices it would hurt sales.

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The screen on the S4 is beautiful but the camera is no where near as nice as the iPhone 5's. The S4's camera has lag when taking a photo and sometimes the photos don't come out so well. As far as the screen size goes this is where apple needs to be at this point and time. For apple to continue to produce just smaller devices it would hurt sales.

I couldn't agree more. The apps on android r ALOT SLOWER!!! I think apple will make the screen size bigger with the 6. That's what I'm waiting for. But I'll never jump ship again. I love the iPhone and iOS. Their amazing. Next time I get the itch I'll buy a new app or something lol. Maybe a case or accessories. LMWAO!!!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have the data problem with my S4, but I'm on AT&T for what it's worth. I do miss the 5inch screen size and having the back button on the bottom. Other than that glad to be back on my ip5 ...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I had an issue last month with AT&T. I was about 12 days into my billing cycle and I check
my data usage everyday. I was at about 1,200 mb's of my 3 gigs. The next morning I woke
up to the following messages:

4:29am "You are 65% into your data plan"
4:30am "you have exceeded your data limit and will be charged $10 for an extra gigabyte"
4:30am "you are 75% into your extra gigabyte"
4:31am "you have exceeded your 1 gigabyte and will be charged an additional $10 for another gigabyte"

I was obviously stunned. When I called the next day NOBODY wanted to say that there was a problem
on AT&T's end. It had to be because I used this data and sometimes it takes the system time to catch up
to the usage. I had people trying to tell me how to manage data on my phone and blah blah. One guy said
sometimes the iphone will do a software update overnight. I'm like dude, first of all I'm on the latest software.
Second, a software update can only occur on wifi because the iPhone will not download anything over 50 mb's
over cellular. Finally, I just tell this rude supervisor to just send me to retentions. And there I get a $50 credit.
And he STILL was giving me advice on how to handle my data usage implying that it was on my end. Smh

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I also returned to my i5 from Z10, loved the size, but honeslty people will say over and over again about how iOS just works.......... and that is very true. My main reason for coming back, Z was nice, but the i5 just worked.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2