Battery life issues?

ktrent#CB

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Looks like a restore is in my plans for tonight. The only thing I can see that I have that would drain is fetching two emails at 30 minutes. I may forward them to my gmail and get them that way so that I have only one email on my phone.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I am not going to read though all 31 pages, but I found my battery drain issue.

Reminders is the culprit.

I was playing with reminders last week and since then, i noticed my battery drain. I had a remider to come on when I get home (just to see how it worked). Well, it ends up turning on GPS and searching the entire time. Once I deleted that reminder, my battery is fine.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok...so after over a week of usage, and some slowing of the actual playing with new features...i have found that the battery life isn't all that different than my iPhone 4's was, with the only HUGE exception being the wireless tethering...wireless tethering battery life is around HALF of what it was on my iPhone 4.

Matchoo

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok...so after over a week of usage, and some slowing of the actual playing with new features...i have found that the battery life isn't all that different than my iPhone 4's was, with the only HUGE exception being the wireless tethering...wireless tethering battery life is around HALF of what it was on my iPhone 4.

Wireless tethering is really that different on the 4S?? I wonder why

liam27

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Still having an issue where I charge the phone overnight to wake up finding it at 92 or 93% rather than the full 100%. I don't know whether it a) fails to reach 100% at all, or b) reaches 100% and then goes back down a few %.

I have tried every suggestion I've read in this thread and disabled quite a lot of the features of the phone. To be honest I don't want to strip the phone of any more of its usability because then I'm not getting the best out of having the 4S!

I'm also using the new charger that came with the 4S box rather than my old charger - hasn't seemed to make a difference.

I'm at a loss what to try next. The phone just seems to drain a lot quicker than I would've hoped or expected. Prepared to do a restore but as a last resort really. Would backing up, resetting to factory settings and then restoring all content really be beneficial for the battery?

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Ios5 battery depletion?

I found a little trick that improved my battery life a bit. Settings>location>system settings> time zone> "switch off". This little feature runs continuously in the background. I don't need this because I'm not moving between time zones.

---

Thx for the idea, Red Devil. I tried it on the I4 and the Pad2, and it actually seemed to help. Also made some other changes in the System Settings and now the battery seems to not deplete so fast.

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I4/ios5

I thought my life was ok but yesterday I ran a little test. My wife and I took the kids to a museum so we both were using our phones the same taking and posting pictures, a few text, and a couple calls. I have 4s and she has a 4 with os5. At the end of the day I was dead and she had 75%. I have minimal apps running and have tuned my phone to use as little battery as possible. Her phone on the other hand has everything wide open. This tells me it's not os5 but it's the 4s.

Come on apple step up and fix this issue.

I have the I4 with IOS5 and after doing the update to IOS5, I noticed a substantial reduction in battery life, not only in the phone, but my IPad 2. Did a lot of playing with it and finally have been able to get back to decent battery life. So maybe the problem is a little bit of both the phone and OS?

pecker115

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I got a 4s over the weekend and also noticed bad battery life until i also turned off location services, made a huge difference, is the gps running all the time?? is there anyway to just get it too come on at intervals??

b0bbYboy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
LOL i have EVERYTHING turned on.

And sometimes I see my phone go from 95% to 90% in 30 mins of STANDBY time.
Other times I see my phone stay 61-60% in 2 hours of standby time...

Im not turning anything off. I bought the phone to do what it was supposed to do. CPU is already down clocked to 800Mhz each core...

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My 4s has horrible battery life compared to my iPhone 4 I read all the tricks and didn't want to turn a bunch of stuff that I use just to save battery that would be pointless ... What I did do thou is turn the weather and stocks off in the notification center and wow what a diff .. Everything else is on .. I don't track stocks so I can open the app if needed and for weather I have a weather app that shows the temp on the icon. Or I can open the stock app ...

So I didn't sacrifice much but it helped

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
LOL i have EVERYTHING turned on.

And sometimes I see my phone go from 95% to 90% in 30 mins of STANDBY time.
Other times I see my phone stay 61-60% in 2 hours of standby time...

Im not turning anything off. I bought the phone to do what it was supposed to do. CPU is already down clocked to 800Mhz each core...

That's a valid point. What good is a battery if you can't do anything because you've disabled it all to get the good battery life?

#justsaying

creighton

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Doing a factory reset and setting up as a new phone seemed to have done the trick for me. I have turned off a couple of things I don't care about, e.g. ping, location services for things I don't care about, and notifications that I don't want to get. I have also set my exchange email and calendars to sync at a 15 minute interval which is fine for me. Most of the time if I'm not at work I am trying to ignore the email anyway! I went from being dead before the factory reset after about 8-10 hours to now showing 23hours50minutes standby and 4hours42minutes usage and still have a 50% charge. Well, okay, 49%, but still a major improvement.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Doing a factory reset and setting up as a new phone seemed to have done the trick for me. I have turned off a couple of things I don't care about, e.g. ping, location services for things I don't care about, and notifications that I don't want to get. I have also set my exchange email and calendars to sync at 15 minute interval which is fine for me. Most of the time if I'm not at work I am trying to ignore the email anyway! I went from being dead before to factory reset after about 8-10 hours to now showing 23hours50minutes standby and 4hours42minutes usage and still have a 50% charge. Well, okay, 49%, but still a major improvement.

I did the deed last night... but apparently I still have a few settings to tweak.

I'm sitting on 75% battery left...

Usage: 2:21
Standby: 10:13

ktrent#CB

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
This is real world use for me including 1 hour con call and 30 mins of need for speed.
6241cf54-ef90-14b3.jpg

I am about to do a restore and we will see what tomorrow brings. I can live with it now but I want to think it will get better.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I locked myself in a cage 30 feet from my phone for about 12 hours and didn't use it. The power went down only about 4%, but when I do use it, yes it sucks gas like an old rusty Ford!!! I'm still contemplarting one of those Morphie type cases...

Appletitude

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
While I absolutely LOVE this phone, the battery issue is much like most on here. I used to have a Blackberry 9650 with an aftermarket Seidio battery on it. It was like carrying a car battery on the back of the phone but I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the usage time. Moderate usage was FOUR DAYS! Phone's been on since 5 a.m. With three charges on it (one at lunch, another mid afternoon and one tonight) here is the usage as of 8:25 pm EST - 85% w/ 59 mins usage, 2 hours 48 mins standby. :(

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I did a little experiment today. I didn't use my Mophie Juice pack plus. I decided to see what the battery could do on its own. I took the phone off the charger at 7am and it is now almost 9 and I have 27 percent battery left. I have used my phone today to make calls, browse the web, email, played some Words with Friends, used Siri a lot, listened to a couple of podcasts, downloaded a lot of songs from my cloud storage. Oh, and I watch about a half dozen segments from CNET tv. I still have all of my push notifications on for Facebook, twitter, Google+, and email. I did set my brightness to about 50 percent. But all in all I think the battery life is really good on this device even without the Mophie Juice pack. I am really happy with the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk