GPS while on airplane

rjdangerous

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get the gps on my iPhone to work while traveling on an airplane. I know the gps is tuned off in airplane mode, but in talking when the phone is in regular mode searching for network signal.

With my droid x even (again non airplane mode) while searching for signal the gps would work lock on and show the planes speed and I had some saved maps on the disk so it showed where we were flying over on my map.

Trying to do tho with my iPhone, with it now it seems if u have no cell/data connection you get no gps?? What if I'm in the woods with no signal my gps won't work??

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe the GPS receiver is dependent on a good cell signal... at least that has been my experience. So, if you're in woods with no signal, especially if your app needs to download maps on the fly, you're SOL. (sadly outta locateability...) It is possible to get GPS data into an iPhone with a BadElf GPS device and your phone in airplane mode.

rjdangerous

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What does te phone need a cell signal for to use gps?? I do have maps downloaded incase I lose signal while in woods guess your beat if that happens lol.

Wierd because the droid you could have no signal or be in airplane mode and the gps worked.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I could de wrong... but I believe the GPS receiver circuitry is incorporated into the cellular radio - so turning that off with airplane mode kills the GPS...

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
gps works on line of sight without assistance from cell towers(A-GPS)

without proper line of sight it wont work. leave the airplane mode off. and take out ur sim. it will work.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77