iPhone runs very slowly

MntnDewMan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

So, my iPhone 3G runs slowly. And I mean very slowly - at least 3 times as slowly as it is supposed to run.

Is there a reason for this? Is there any way to speed it up? It's jailbroken - but that has nothing to do with the problem. It has been very slow since long before I jailbroke it. It didn't speed up or slow down after I jailbroke it either.

Could this possibly be due to very minor water damage? I dropped it in a puddle...but it didn't go all the way under water or turn off or flicker or anything like that..but I know a little water got in.

Anyway, are there any files I can delete or mess with or anything to speed it up? Please help. Thank you.

-MDM

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
My 3G is super slow too.
Much slower than it was.
Works fast after I do a fresh install (non-jailbroken) but after a few weeks, it starts to bog down again.
Not sure why...this is a replacement too.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I would try dl'ing sbsettings from cydia. I think that u may have an app that isn't releasing memory and thus causing it to run slow. I love sbsettings, works like a champ.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I would try dl'ing sbsettings from cydia. I think that u may have an app that isn't releasing memory and thus causing it to run slow. I love sbsettings, works like a champ.

If that were the case...rebooting the phone would fix it, even if only temporarily.

MntnDewMan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Before you restore...what jailbreak apps have you added?

I've added sbsettings, openssh, makeitmine, htc lockinfo, gruppled slider,
glass orb color, 5-icon dock, 5-column springboard, wave dialer, beach notes, illuminated (background theme), and a few others that i'm not using.

It's been slow since long before i jailbroke - I really don't think that's the problem. I have restored it before - and no change.

-MDM

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
This is the best solution I can think of and you WILL notice a HUGE difference :

PRE-ORDER IPHONE 4 TOMORROW !!! :) ;)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think water damage would account for the slowness, that would cause other oddness, like screen flicker, or your presses not registering, and/or it would eventually cause the phone to not work at all. Plus it could and would cause visual stuff on the screen itself. Slowness sounds like you have software issues, background apps, etc, but I don't really know iphones. Did you do anything to draw out the moisture when the device got wet? Such as place it in uncooked rice, or in silica packs (the kind the pharmacy uses)? Too late now, but that is what you should do when you get a phone wet (and remove the battery, IF you can - which I know you guys can't :( ).

Last edited:

Bill McNeal

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
I have basically the same setup as the OP, 3g, jailbroken, HTC lockinfor, etc. and my phone is slow as mud. I can't play games like tap tap revenge on it because it slows down sooooo much. I did a backup restore yesterday and it is slightly better, but not really much at all. I'm just gonna get a new one, but it really is terribly frustrating.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
some apps rob power

I've added sbsettings, openssh, makeitmine, htc lockinfo, gruppled slider,
glass orb color, 5-icon dock, 5-column springboard, wave dialer, beach notes, illuminated (background theme), and a few others that i'm not using.

It's been slow since long before i jailbroke - I really don't think that's the problem. I have restored it before - and no change.

-MDM

you are right it's not the JB but it may very well be one of the apps you got running. Even if you don't think it is until you know it's gotta be eliminated as a possibility. So I would say if you don't need SSH uninstall it, if you do need it make sure you turn it off in SBSettings everytime you're done using it. lockinfo I guarantee slows the phone down cause I had it on my 3G and it gave me lag unlocking I would swipe the slider and there would be a delay before the phone would open. So I would say just disable it and see if the performance is any better. I would say disable each theme and when you got them all disabled reboot your phone. Then see how it behaves, you can also go into SBSettings and go into processes and see whats running on the phone and stop any that ur not using like iPod or mail etc. Once you've had everything off if it feels better turn the themes and stuff back on 1 at a time and see when you notice a slow down. If you don't find any of them making the situation better then I would say restore and use it for 2 or 3 days then re-JB it is possible some file got f'd up JB allows you to run non sanctioned apps but it also means that the app may not be tested as thoroughly.

MntnDewMan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is the best solution I can think of and you WILL notice a HUGE difference :

PRE-ORDER IPHONE 4 TOMORROW !!! :) ;)

This might be the most repetitive question in history...

but is there already a jailbreak lined up? and will it have full accessibility to the Cydia store? and should i just wait until all the kinks are out of the jailbreak before I get one? What's everyone's opinion?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77