AT&T no longer exchanges defective Apple Branded accessories.

estavon

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
AT&T no longer exchanges defective Apple Branded accessories. Could this be a sign of the end of AT&T?s firm lock on the iPhone?

Today I visited my cities official AT&T corporate store where I purchased my iPhone and once had to get a defective iPhone charger cable replaced. I was told by the manager that they received a corporate email to ?No longer exchange any Apple branded products.? They referred me instead to the 45 minute away Apple store in a mall at a larger City.
This is a product AT&T sold me at their store. I called customer service and hit a wall as well. Their system only says to refer me to an Apple store now.

AT&T?s relationship with Apple may indeed be crashing with their talks. Apple has nothing to gain and AT&T has so much to lose now. If you want an iPhone keep your proximity to an Apple store in mind before you get in bed with AT&T.
Today I'm stuck with a not charging USB cable.. I'll just buy one this afternoon so I can at least use my phone. This might be old to you but she said it's a new policy they received by email.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's always been this way. Same thing with the iPhone, even if you made the purchase at a AT&T store they will tell you that you must go to your local Apple store. Nothing new.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
This is the one thing that may make me go back to Sprint and another device. My son's iPhone got the "blank white screen" and we have to get a box shipped to us and then send them the iPhone for them to determine to replace or not. Even if I paid the $30 for them to expedite and a $400 deposit for them to go ahead and ship another iPhone, we would still be without for a few days. I have never had to ship off a phone or wait for another one to come in. If this had been my iPhone, I would have really been pissed. Sprint has always had another in the store for me to exchange.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
As Bad Ash infers, there's nothing new here.

AT&T are surely just selling agents for Apple and are in no way responsible for "Apple" products. As with any item not manufactured by the retailer e.g. a washing machine or TV, the retailer (or seller) offers a manufacturers warranty/guarantee.

Ghecko

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The seperation between apple and ATT is very odd and i dont like it.... ATT needs to be trained or something so they can atleast do something close to apple.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
The seperation between apple and ATT is very odd and i dont like it.... ATT needs to be trained or something so they can atleast do something close to apple.

Agree, Sprint does not separate itself from its products. I don't think AT&T does except on the iPhone. Why not get someone at each AT&T store trained or at least allow trading of defective phone in the AT&T store?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This more than likely due to Apple and I like it that way. The less I have to deal with a cell phone company the better.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't think AT&T was ever exchanging Apple products of any kind, if they were it was probably store by store thing. I know my AT&T store has always told me if there is a problem to always call Apple.

Edit - Call Apple's iPhone support number, tell them your USB cable has stopped working. They will over night you a new one, no cost. All you do is mail them back the broken one, they give you a pre-paid package to put it in.

I had the charger with my original iPhone die twice and both times I called in the afternoon and the next morning FedEx was at my door before I went to work with a new one.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2