Problem with contacts

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, apologies if this is the wrong spot for this, new to Apple & iPhone and wasn't sure if it belonged here or in the phone forums. So, I was checking out Apple Maps since it's new to me and noticed there is a spot to set up a home and work addresses. This took me to my actual contact to edit it. Problem is, as soon as I add an address for myself the keyboard disappeared and I couldn't actually type anything. Then I realize it had a little Facebook icon and "Home" is a link looking text I can't tap on. I figured out if I turn off the "Contacts" switch in Settings/Facebook that I can now edit my address. As soon as I flip it back on it eats whatever I put in and I no longer have addresses again.

I assumed during setting the phone up that I should have that Contacts switch on and that it would try to link Facebook contact info with my contacts for easier Facebook use but I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding it and I should just switch it off? I'm not sure if it matters but the way I got my contacts on the phone was to just add my Google account and it is syncing them from there. I.e. in Settings/Mail,contacts,calendars I have the default account for contacts set to Gmail. I figured that way I didn't have to try to import them over to iCloud (I think that would be the equivalent?) and I could just keep them updated in one place (i.e. if I add a new contact on the phone it still makes it back to Google vs. not if I have it set to iCloud instead).

So maybe me using Gmail contacts as default is breaking it? I went and looked at my account on the Facebook website and there's no way to add addresses in there that I could see, and I'm not sure I'd want FB having my addresses anyway.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If it were me, I would remove Facebook from having access to my contacts via the settings.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I would not let FB have access to my contacts either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys I'll do that. Like I said I wasn't sure what the benefit was. The way I understood it since the setting was under the Facebook section was that I was allowing Contacts to have access to my Facebook contacts but that's either not the way it works or it's creating this unexpected side effect with the address thing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you have contacts toggled on in Settings >Facebook, all your Facebook friends with the right information in their about will show as a contact. I don't want all my Facebook friends as a contact. LOL

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys, I got it all sorted out finally. Turned off the contacts switch in the Facebook settings and then created a new contact for myself that has all the needed info. Guess I just never saw a need to have a contact for myself before lol. Now everything is happy and working right.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2