Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Massie
  • 2 Post By kch50428
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Default How to clear WIFI network in preferred list?

Just curious, in Android, BB10, I can add and remove my WIFI network preferred list. How do I do that in iOS 6?

Thanks.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default Re: How to clear WIFI network in preferred list?

Setting general then reset network settings

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

thanks, but that would wipe out everything, including previously saved wifi. I just want to erase one wifi network. how do I do that? Thanks.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you go into the particular network info (the blue arrow button near the name) there is a Forget This Network button.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

I see. Thanks for the suggestion. If I am out of the wifi range, how do I do it?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by gameson View Post
    I see. Thanks for the suggestion. If I am out of the wifi range, how do I do it?
    You can't do it out of wifi range because then you won't see the network .. There is no list visible to edit

7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Yes, I know that, hence the question... that kinda sucks that only iOS does not allow preferred list for Wifi. all other OS do that. I wonder if iOS 7 still have this same feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    You can't do it out of wifi range because then you won't see the network .. There is no list visible to edit

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Yes, I know that, hence the question... that kinda sucks that only iOS does not allow preferred list for Wifi. all other OS do that. I wonder if iOS 7 still have this same feature?
    I'm on ios 7 no it does not

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Maybe I'm missing the usefulness of a preferred list...with Ask To Join Networks turned Off, my wifi only joins networks I've told it to joinóbut after I've joined once it will join automatically the next time I'm within range. What does a "preferred network" do differently?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the usefulness of a preferred list...with Ask To Join Networks turned Off, my wifi only joins networks I've told it to join—but after I've joined once it will join automatically the next time I'm within range. What does a "preferred network" do differently?
    Exactly...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

the Wifi preferred network list would allow you to delete a network manually when out of range (cleaning up your saved network. if you travel a lot and use a wifi network only once, then your phone will end up with many wifi networks), also allow to rank your wifi based on your priority.

Sure, you can delete a network by going to 'forget this network', but that only happens when the network is in your range. do you want to manually remove a network each time you are about to leave?

I usually clean up my preferred wifi list on my laptop (windows), BBRY, and my Android tablet once a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the usefulness of a preferred list...with Ask To Join Networks turned Off, my wifi only joins networks I've told it to join—but after I've joined once it will join automatically the next time I'm within range. What does a "preferred network" do differently?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

the Wifi preferred network list would allow you to delete a network manually when out of range (cleaning up your saved network. if you travel a lot and use a wifi network only once, then your phone will end up with many wifi networks), also allow to rank your wifi based on your priority.

Sure, you can delete a network by going to 'forget this network', but that only happens when the network is in your range. do you want to manually remove a network each time you are about to leave?

I usually clean up my preferred wifi list on my laptop (windows), BBRY, and my Android tablet once a week or so.
    I can’t imagine that saved networks use up that much storage... and as someone suggested, resetting your network settings will clear up the issue, if there is one... but with that said, there’s no need to create a problem when none really exist, IMHO.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

if you travel often and use wifi whenever you are, you will end up with many wifi network in the list. imagine if you have 100 wifi network on your list. when you turn it on, the wifi will first go through 100 of your list before declare it no wifi connection (that's how wifi saved network list works). It will take time to scan through 100 wifi networks. while if you clean it up once in a while (delete one wifi manually), it would take less time for a OS (android, BBRY, windows) to connect a wifi in the preferred list.

you can do the 'reset network settings' like peligro911 said, but then it would erase all your wifi networks, and you have to set up one by one again.

it's not a problem, i never said it's a problem, i was just asking if there is a way to clear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I can’t imagine that saved networks use up that much storage... no need to create a problem when none really exist, IMHO.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

you can do the 'reset network settings' like peligro911 said, but then it would erase all your wifi networks, and you have to set up one by one again.

it's not a problem, i never said it's a problem, i was just asking if there is a way to clear it.
    Yes, there is a way to clear it... reset network settings... and adding back the ones in places you frequent seems to me to be no more or less onerous than your desired solution of some means of a selective edit on a list...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Fausty82 and JustMe'D like this.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

lol, why are you guys defending iOS so much? This is not my desired solution, other OS (windows, Android, BBRY) has wifi preferred list. if no OS uses it, yes, it's my desired solution. I was just merely asking, no need to defend iOS like I am bashing it. I use iPhone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Yes, there is a way to clear it... reset network settings... and adding back the ones in places you frequent seems to me to be no more or less onerous than your desired solution of some means of a selective edit on a list...

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

lol, why are you guys defending iOS so much? This is not my desired solution, other OS (windows, Android, BBRY) has wifi preferred list. if no OS uses it, yes, it's my desired solution. I was just merely asking, no need to defend iOS like I am bashing it. I use iPhone as well.
    Who's defending it? I thought they were merely answering your question and offering suggestions.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You asked a question - got an answer, and are displeased with the answer you get... smh...

go here: Apple - iPhone - Feedback -- tell them they way Apple/iOS handles previously used wifi hotspots displeases you...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Just because it is not your desired solution, does that make it a non-solution? You asked a question, you didn’t like the answer, and now you say that we’re defending iOS? It’s a fact that the way only to clear the "preferred network" list (your term, not Apple's) is to reset the network settings. Frankly, there’s nothing more to say.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Like I said good bad or ugly that is the only way .. On ios even up to ios7 to clear it the best solution would do a reset once a week and then re add your home wifi or whatever you use most that seems faster then manually going thru a list anyways.
    Out of being curious could you not clear it once you think the list gets pretty big then time it and them clear it and time it again .. I'm curious to see how much time scanning it actually adds

iMore Nanite

Preferred Network Lists (PNLs) are an actual term in Wi-Fi networking. I think gameson's question is totally valid from a security point of view.

Ask yourself this question: how does your iDevice connect to an AirPort or any other wireless access point when that WAP is configured with a Hidden SSID? (Some marketing boffins call these Cloaked SSIDs.) A WAP configured with a Hidden SSID does not broadcast its identity so it will not show up as a network in a new user's Wi-Fi Settings.

The answer is: all Wi-Fi devices transmit the SSIDs of their PNLs on a periodic basis as an "Are you there?" type of request. WAPs that recognize their own SSID will respond so that authentication and connection will commence.

From a security point of view this is not ideal. Anyone with a Wi-Fi sniffer could see all of the SSIDs that a given user has connected to previously. And because the user's own MAC address is included the sniffer now has a unique cookie with which to track the user as they move around. I think Apple is doing their users a great disservice by failing to provide a list of out-of-range networks that in which their users can edit/delete items.

PNL leakage is not a new problem. Even Microsoft released a patch for Windows XP SP2 and later to address this with Group Policy... back in 2006.

Sure, on iOS you can go to Settings > General > Reset and click on Reset Network Settings, but that loses every WAP configuration you have as well as all of your VPN connections and network credentials. Have you ever tried setting up a half-dozen or so VPN connections from scratch on iOS?
    iMore Nanite

Exactly. The SSID probes broadcast by phones are a major security issue, particularly if you've used open wifi networks at some stage in the past. If you don't believe me, go and buy a Pineapple. :-)

I too would like a way to remove networks from my list.
    iMore Nanite

This is a problem:

My router crashed. I can't use the same network name because I can't forget the old network and reset the parameters for that specific network to connect to the new router. I would like to keep all of the other networks as I don't have 30 passwords memorized.
    iMore Nanite

I recently stayed at a resort where this presented as an issue. Their network in public areas had the same SSID as the in room WiFi -
    But the in-room AP was not secured and the public area was. Obviously not configured properly. In order to connect to the public area wifi, I would have to forget in-room and vice-Versa. I also recently saw a news bit on the security issue and people learning how to fish out data from iOS and other WiFI devices.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

He has his good and valid points and concerns and so did all of the people here who took time to help him with an answer and that's it. He can take their advice or not but no need to talk down about the fact that there is no list. You can accept the advice or not and let it go at that. This was very simple that just got out of hand in what the OP felt as opposed to the ones that gave him the real scoop. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Nanite

Just came here to post my experience:

In my country, and I bet so many other places, many people have their W-Fi networks configured with people's names in the SSID. Could be their own names, child's, or even the pets.

"Felipe"
    "Pamela"
    "Carolina"
    "Jorge"

Because they are very common names here in Chile, many networks everywhere have the same SSID, with different passwords obviously. And I have a lot of friends that use these kinds of names in their homes.

So... You will say "OK, you have more than one friend with the same name, and when you're go to their homes, you have to "forget" the network so you can use it. And, when you return to the other friend's house, you have to do it again...".

Well, the problem goes very beyond and far more complicated than that.

When I'm driving and using Waze on my iPhone, every time I'm stop on a stop sign, on a red light or even just driving near to a house or an apartment with some of these SSIDs, a popup appear into the screen blocking the app asking for the password. Believe me, it's very annoying.

This situation appears to be more frequently on iOS 8, I don't know why.

So, even with "reseting default values" and erasing all networks doesn't even resolve the issue, beucase I need to mantain those Wi-Fi profiles. I can't delete the settings everytime I left those SSIDs.

iOS, even with 8 versions, still had these kind of problems. But, with a simple Wi-Fi manage list, life could be very more easy.

Cheers and sorry for my english.