Additional RAM for iMac

ChadLyons

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone on here as ever gone about adding some more ram to their iMac, and if so how did you go about it?

If there is already a thread that covers this please let me know and I will take the time to check it out. I wanted to add some more ram so that my iMac can execute more things at once, it seems to be slowing up a bit when I have some music software running so I wanted to see if adding ram to the iMac would somehow help solve this problem. Thanks in advance for the help!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone on here as ever gone about adding some more ram to their iMac, and if so how did you go about it?

If there is already a thread that covers this please let me know and I will take the time to check it out. I wanted to add some more ram so that my iMac can execute more things at once, it seems to be slowing up a bit when I have some music software running so I wanted to see if adding ram to the iMac would somehow help solve this problem. Thanks in advance for the help!

It is very easy to do. I have done it on every iMac I have ever owned. Two things that you need to be careful of. First that you get the proper RAM for your iMac and second that you seat it in the proper slots. Here is a guide by Apple Support on how to do it properly. If you need any further help just quote me and I can assist you.

Last edited:

ChadLyons

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Awesome! Thank you so much, I'm going to read through the support guidelines and take a crack at it! If i need anymore help, i'll pop back in, thanks again!

int32_t

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, the 24/27" iMacs have always had memory slots accessible from the outside, whereas the smaller editions haven't always (requiring magnets or a knife and special screwdrivers). I've done the upgrade to a handful of iMacs, and have had a good experience getting memory from OWC (macsales.com) and following guides from iFixit (ifixit.com). The Mactracker app (free from the Mac App Store) will also tell you how much memory is officially "Apple-supported" in your machine, and how much the chipset will actually handle.

And you might be wondering why don't I get my memory from iFixit as well, if I already follow their amazing guides? Because I'm in Canada and they insist on shipping via courier. OWC, on the other hand, ships to Canada for $3 via USPS. Who wouldn't choose them?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77