Re-install MacOS Sierra on erased iMac

Kungsleden

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
Hi

I erased an iMac (late 2009, 21.5) with the aim of selling it.
However, now, re-installing Sierra fails. The last error message in the Log file is: "Failed to mount outter-dmg at /Volumes/blabla/macOS Install Data/InstallESD.dmg".
I was in contact with Apple support and we tried a bootable installer via the Terminal. But this does not work either, I get a "-bash: sudo: command not found" error message. They say I have to bring the iMac to a store. Not really an option as that would cost more than what I will probably get by selling it.
So I am hoping there are some pros around here who can help.

Regards,

Christophe

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello Christophe,

Try running the command Apple provided, but without the sudo in front. If you're in Recovery Mode, that command does not exist.

To find the command again, you can look at this document: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

Also, if you have another Mac, you can generate the USB install drive from another computer.

Kungsleden

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried to generate the installer from my MBP and it still fails:

Last login: Sat Jan 21 13:19:43 on console

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
(base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/My Passport for Mac
Password:
sudo: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found
(base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/My Passport for Mac
-bash: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: No such file or directory
(base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ chsh -s /bin/zsh
Changing shell for cpical.
Password for cpical:
(base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/My Passport for Mac
sudo: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found
(base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$

Any idea why?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried to generate the installer from my MBP and it still fails:

Last login: Sat Jan 21 13:19:43 on console

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
Password:
(base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/My Passport for Mac
-bash: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: No such file or directory
(base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$ chsh -s /bin/zsh
Changing shell for cpical.
Password for cpical:
(base) Christophes-MacBook-Pro:~ cpical$

Any idea why?

Can you go into your Applications folder, and check if you have the “Install macOS High Sierra” app present? If it’s not there, you need to download it first from the App Store.

Kungsleden

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot!!!!
It worked.
I must say I usually wear my thinking brain but left it aside a bit on this occasion.
I am a bit disappointed with Apple's support, I must say. They should have been able to guide me like you did.
Anyway, it ends well and I can now sell this iMac.

Regards,

Christophe

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot!!!!
It worked.
I must say I usually wear my thinking brain but left it aside a bit on this occasion.
I am a bit disappointed with Apple's support, I must say. They should have been able to guide me like you did.
Anyway, it ends well and I can now sell this iMac.

Regards,

Christophe

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to iMore!

Kungsleden

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
Hi Annie,

Thanks for the welcome.
I did not introduce myself in the dedicated thread, sorry.
This was quite an urgent request, and wanted it sorted asap, if possible.
I will introduce myself now/soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien