Unregister from at&t

Talbot#IM

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone
Yesterday I bought an original iphone. When I brought it home I plugged it in and opened up itunes. It then told me I needed to register the phone with at & t. So I did, thinking that I afterwards I could unlock the phone and take the "iphone data plan" off my at&t plan. I was able to unlock the phone by following a tutorial.

Then when I went to the at&t website it didn't let me take the "iphone data plan" off. I even changed my current phone to not show an iphone.

Anyone know what I need to do? I really don't want to pay $20 a month.

Thanks

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
AT&T knows you are on an iPhone via your sim card. I don't believe there is any way of removing the data plan. Once AT&T sees the iPhone, they add it back on.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Yeah there is no way to do that. If you give them a dumbie IMEI number or that of a another phone, and you pop your SIM Card back in the iPhone. Regardless, the iPhone is going to rack up data usage. In the end costing you more than $20 data.

I would just keep the $20 data on there. Every PDA on AT&T has a $30 data plan.
The first gen iPhone also comes with 200 texts. So in the end it's a bargain.

Talbot#IM

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ok I understand.

What I'm trying to do is get rid of the $20... add the $5 200 text feature and have no internet coming from the phone signal. I'm only going to be using it wireless internet spots so I see no point in paying $15 extra for something I'm not going to use.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this... so I'm just going to keep looking.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Ok I understand.

What I'm trying to do is get rid of the $20... add the $5 200 text feature and have no internet coming from the phone signal. I'm only going to be using it wireless internet spots so I see no point in paying $15 extra for something I'm not going to use.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this... so I'm just going to keep looking.

Sounds like what you need is an iPod Touch and a normal phone.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
AT&T requires the iPhone to have a data plan on the device for as long as the phone is on their network.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
What would be the point of not having the data plan on there? It makes the phone almost useless. I see some reason for doing this but in the end, you're going to get a much better experience by coughing up the $20 a month.

Beloved

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Did you upgrade your phone thru Att? If so, you will have to pay to charge during the life of your contract no matter what phone you use. I got my son the new Propel with the upgrade price. 3 weeks later he lost it. Was going to downgrade the phone to a cheapy and found out that I still had to pay for the Internet package so had to shell out for another Propel at retail.

pascal333#IM

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Unlock and load

You said:
Hi everyone
Yesterday I bought an original iphone. When I brought it home I plugged it in and opened up itunes. It then told me I needed to register the phone with at & t. So I did, thinking that I afterwards I could unlock the phone and take the "iphone data plan" off my at&t plan. I was able to unlock the phone by following a tutorial.

Then when I went to the at&t website it didn't let me take the "iphone data plan" off. I even changed my current phone to not show an iphone.

Anyone know what I need to do? I really don't want to pay $20 a month.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
I bought an unlocked iphone 4. Hold on...Then I bought a "phone book" sim on ebay and put it in my iphone 4 (had to cut the sim down for the iphone 4, which you would not have to do) and it worked fine for getting me itunes and internet. I did not have to register with AT&T to get that. However, my phone being "unlocked" probably makes a difference. You can unlock yours easily and for free. It is totally legal. If interested, just google "unlock iphone".

I think you do not want an AT&T sim or an AT&T locked phone.
Replace the sim and unlock it.
I think that will do the trick.

pascal333

You may get some response to this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost