iPhone 6 SIM Locked?

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a long term Windows Central user. I've occasionally checked in at Android Central (I read a lot of their news but rarely visit their forums) and have visited iMore on even fewer occasions in the past. Yes, I'm one of those weird Windows 10 guys who uses a Lumia 950 XL and a smattering of Android phones.
I have experience with iPhones and am familiar with iOS and all of its strengths (and caveats) but I wouldn't call myself an expert on all things Apple. I'm knowledgeable because it betters my knowledge of my own area of expertise.

Which brings me to my question: I recently acquired an iPhone 6 (for free) so that my girlfriend could have a phone to use (she's been without one for a while) but I am unable to get her on a plan right now (it's on my list). I've tried booting up the phone and setting it up so she could use it for other things in the mean time, such as Skype and Snapchat (ew) and such. However, the iPhone won't even let me past the initial set up screen without a SIM card. Is this common? I've never had any issues running a Windows phone without a SIM card installed.

Are there any ways around this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Zachary

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a long term Windows Central user. I've occasionally checked in at Android Central (I read a lot of their news but rarely visit their forums) and have visited iMore on even fewer occasions in the past. Yes, I'm one of those weird Windows 10 guys who uses a Lumia 950 XL and a smattering of Android phones.
I have experience with iPhones and am familiar with iOS and all of its strengths (and caveats) but I wouldn't call myself an expert on all things Apple. I'm knowledgeable because it betters my knowledge of my own area of expertise.

Which brings me to my question: I recently acquired an iPhone 6 (for free) so that my girlfriend could have a phone to use (she's been without one for a while) but I am unable to get her on a plan right now (it's on my list). I've tried booting up the phone and setting it up so she could use it for other things in the mean time, such as Skype and Snapchat (ew) and such. However, the iPhone won't even let me past the initial set up screen without a SIM card. Is this common? I've never had any issues running a Windows phone without a SIM card installed.

Are there any ways around this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Zachary

Yeah, sorry to say but it's normal. A sim card is needed in order to set up any iPhone.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, sorry to say but it's normal. A sim card is needed in order to set up any iPhone.

Is there no way around it? It just seems strange that I wouldn't have run into this problem in the past already. Well, could I possibly fool the phone with my AT&T nanoSIM? The phone is Boost Mobile so it uses Sprint's network and isn't compatible, but maybe it'll be enough to get past set up?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Is there no way around it? It just seems strange that I wouldn't have run into this problem in the past already. Well, could I possibly fool the phone with my AT&T nanoSIM? The phone is Boost Mobile so it uses Sprint's network and isn't compatible, but maybe it'll be enough to get past set up?

Yeah that might work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2