Digital Library vs Physical Library

thomasliveshere

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
So it's something that's been bugging me and I can't decide on a solution. I'm hoping that you folks will be able to share your opinions and help give me some perspective.

I'm a big movie buff. In fact, I'm a big media buff. I love my TV shows, music, everything.

However recently I'm struggling with the idea as whether to invest solely in a digital media collection or continue to buy physical media (blu rays etc)

I'm certain that I'll be sticking with Apple so is it wise to start building up my itunes media? Buying movies, TV shows from the itunes store etc.

I like the convenience of being able to access my movies and such over a number of devices, and I like the idea of having an impressive array of titles in my collection.

What is troubling me is that apparently even if I buy a movie from the itunes store, I don't really own it...it's just being leased to me. Also, what if one day Apple goes bust? Or a major catastrophe happens with their servers? I'm willing to spend hundreds (one day thousands) of dollars purchasing movies, shows, music etc. I would like to be guaranteed that I have it forever.
I know this is far fetched but it's scenarios that still go through my mind.
(this same thought goes through my head in relation to "the icloud", but that's a different topic)

What do you do? Do you prefer to have a digital media library or do you still like having physical copies at your disposal? Do you purchase movies etc solely from itunes?

What are the pros and cons of having just an apple-based digital media collection, in your opinion.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What is troubling me is that apparently even if I buy a movie from the itunes store, I don't really own it...it's just being leased to me.
That's technically true of Physical media too... you only own the physical media - you're only licensed to use the content upon it...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Most of my collection are ripped DVD's. My cloud for them is a shelf. If I had a fire and lost them I would have to purchase them again and maybe another computer if it was in the fire.
In this scenario all of my iTunes purchased movies are relatively safe.
Apple probably has so much redundancy any server catastrophe is highly unlikely. It's more likely to lose the physical library in a natural disaster of some kind or theft.
Having a guarantee of having something "forever" is a stretch.
When I go to the "Cloud" I doubt I'll be concerned about the Stars Wars Collection I bought on iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I buy Blu rays that come with digital copies so I'm only paying for the movie once. I have extensive collections in both iTunes and UV/Vudu. Best of both worlds.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have evolved over time. All of my media has been ripped from physical media. I have a closet packed full of old CDs and DVDs. Over the past several (5-6) years, I have begun purchasing my media in digital format.

I have a ton of grandkids, so the less they (and I) have to handle physical media, the better. I have multiple copies of all of the digitally purchased media stored on external drives, NAS units and Time Machine backups. The grandkids know how to operate the AppleTVs to get to their movies, and it's all smooth as butter.

To address the OP's point about Apple one day going "belly up", I have copies upon copies upon copies, and as long as I never lose my AppleID credentials, I can access it until the end of time.

Problem solved, for me, at least.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I stopped buying physical media ages ago. It's all iTunes now.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hank, if I may ask, what software do you use to rip? I'm not opposed to commercial software.

I use Handbrake. Earlier versions of Handbrake required the VLC app to handle DRM, but I think the newer version is good without it. I do still have VLC and use it quite a bit on my rMBP, so for me it's a moot point. There are commercial options, but Handbrake works fine for me. Handbrake also has a user forum where you can get help with particularly cantankerous movie files. Over all, an excellent option.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2