Fraud incident?

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
So yesterday after being in an area with very little service I get into better area. Open up my email. I have one from apple pay with transaction details on an iphone purchase. Well I made no such purchase. I do not use apple pay either. It was sent to my email from this address [customerbillingservice at statement-signattempt dot info]

It basically gives all the user info for someone else who ordered a phone. They are from Chicago. I'm from Massachusetts. Anyways I had a friend look into it, they seem to think its a scam website.
Does anyone know of anything like this going around? When I clicked the "request cancelation" it went to a page to log into my apple account. That worked but then it was asking all my info like name, phone number, address and then Social security #. I stopped doing anything upon seeing that.

Next thing I know I log in to account thru a different way. It says my account is locked.

Now whats my best bet? I think my account is fine. No strange things showed up when I logged in thru the normal way. But kind of leary of whats going on. No charges on any credit cards of mine(I get instant alerts with an app anytime charges go on a card) Also nothing ordered on my apple account.

Should I just delete the email and forget it or anyway to report this to apple?

Last edited by a moderator:

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a phishing attempt.
Definitely don't click links. And since you already did, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW.
Log into your Apple ID the normal way and see if the purchase shows up on your account. If not, ignore (and delete) the email.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In addition to what SwitchBeach has stated, check your bank account to make sure the transaction was not made.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Change all passwords with access to sensitive information. Apple ID, emails, banking.

Different password for each service. Do not reuse passwords. Use case sensitive alphanumeric passwords that are at least 14 characters long, and avoid words, especially words associated with you (names, last names, maiden names, band/school/movie names) also avoid numbers easily associated with you (birthdays, anniversaries)

Enable two-factor authentication where possible.

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Yeah it was someone elses name and information for the purchase but just sent to my email. They were from Chicago. I see no funny activity on my accounts. So just going to delete the email and keep an eye on things just in case.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've received an odd email or two supposedly from Apple that raised red-flags right away. It was sent to an email that I used to use for my Apple account. It sort of looked like it was from Apple, but had a few odd errors such as misspelled words, etc. I knew not to click on any links and changed my password immediately. Follow your gut, and continue being vigilant!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've received an odd email or two supposedly from Apple that raised red-flags right away. It was sent to an email that I used to use for my Apple account. It sort of looked like it was from Apple, but had a few odd errors such as misspelled words, etc. I knew not to click on any links and changed my password immediately. Follow your gut, and continue being vigilant!

In your case, changing your password didn't help anything. Your email account wasn't hacked. They simply sent you an email.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Never give out any info to anybody. Apple will never ask for personal information over email, nor would any other ethical company.

Delete and move on.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
While it does sound like a spam email, I'd still change all passwords and enable two factor authentication. Never hurts to be too safe.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes I would reccomend adding 2factor authentication on any account I have it enabled on all my accounts for all my accounts

Definitely.

Someone I know got an alert that her Gmail was compromised but we were able to look at 2FA and the last logins in Google to know that there was no unauthorized use of her account. We then change the password anyway to be safe.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2