Contacts App Missing - WatchOS 5

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm brand new to Apple Watch - a 'want' rather than a 'need' - and went out and bought a Series 3 GPS model yesterday. Last week's model discount applied - I really didn't see the point behind a 4 (and only got a 3 over an Apple Refurb 1 after some procrastination) - and the setup and sync to my iPhone appeared to be relatively painless - including a somewhat endless upgrade to WatchOS 5.
That said, I have no Contacts icon. The My Watch control panel on my iPhone shows it listed and set up to sync, but there's nothing there in App Layout.
Goodness knows I've since read plenty of threads where folks aren't getting their Contacts to sync across, but to not have the app at all? I've tried a Reset - nada.

Am I missing something? Or is this just Apple being Apple and deleting an app that they never bothered to fix?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
First of all, congratulations on joining the Apple Watch party! Like you, mine was a case of wanting rather than needing, but now I can't imagine life without it!

I just checked my Series 3, and I do have the contacts app on my watch. Have you looked at the Watch app on your phone? If not, open the App on your iPhone, and scroll down to Contacts. Tap contacts, and make sure that "Mirror my iPhone" is toggled on.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
First of all, congratulations on joining the Apple Watch party! Like you, mine was a case of wanting rather than needing, but now I can't imagine life without it!

I just checked my Series 3, and I do have the contacts app on my watch. Have you looked at the Watch app on your phone? If not, open the App on your iPhone, and scroll down to Contacts. Tap contacts, and make sure that "Mirror my iPhone" is toggled on.

Hi, Anne_8plus -

Thanks for that! Yes, I have it showing as "Mirror my iPhone" - and, in fact toggled it off and then on again to see if any difference - and it still fails to show up in App Layout or on my phone. Short of a hard boot on both my iPhone and Watch (tedious), i'm not sure what to do.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/welcome/watchoshttps://support.apple.com/guide/watch/make-phone-calls-apdc38d7a95e/watchosOk, I have egg on my face!!! I am so sorry! I have been doing some reading and it seems that there is a possibility that the contacts app may not show up on the actual watch. What I was thinking was the contacts app was really the wallet app! How embarrassing is that? :concern:

I checked Apple's User Guide for Watch OS5, and found that if you want to access your contacts while making a call do this:

"Open the Phone app on your Apple Watch.

Tap Contacts, then turn the Digital Crown to scroll.

Tap the contact you want to call, then tap the phone button."

Source: Apple Watch OS5 User Guide

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
There is no contacts app on the Watch, only the Phone app.

You can view your contacts in there or by creating a new message in the Messages app.