Verizon Brings Back Unlimited Data, what are you going to do with it all?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have to stay on the porch this go round. ....I'm not sure if I will ever be able to catch up with Nikki ...
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170407/275255b6375a99aeb664754c5c7a7d2b.jpg

You gotta try harder

Not sure what's going on with this one. She's sure taking advantage of unlimited. LOL
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170407/0db1731b44c27fe5f25c1003860361d3.jpg

I say why not take advantage....its unlimited🤷🏾*♀️

Here's my usage Not too shabby
d581c52479c7cd3865670e59f78d889c.jpg

I'd like to point out that I have been "de-prioritized." But in reality, they've throttled me for a week now. I hit 22GB and my speeds have been cut back to 0.8 Mbps. I'm raging over here. There aren't even 20,000 people in the county and I'm being throttled like crazy. Speeds haven't increased a single time.

That's crazy!!! I'm wondering if they're doing work on the tower or something. I use a ton all the time in Boston & have never had an issue.

Nice. I'm considering trying to buy the old unlimited plan online with no throttling.

It's not throttling & I haven't experienced it at all. Not sure if it would even be noticeable. I think the new plan is good

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You gotta try harder

I say why not take advantage....its unlimited🤷🏾*♀️

Here's my usage Not too shabby
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/d581c52479c7cd3865670e59f78d889c.jpg

That's crazy!!! I'm wondering if they're doing work on the tower or something. I use a ton all the time in Boston & have never had an issue.

It's not throttling & I haven't experienced it at all. Not sure if it would even be noticeable. I think the new plan is good

Exactly, but I think they were referring to the old unlimited plan before throttling. I never had that. By the time I got my first smartphone, they no longer offered it. It made me mad because my cousin had managed to get grandfathered in. LOL

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, but I think they were referring to the old unlimited plan before throttling. I never had that. By the time I got my first smartphone, they no longer offered it. It made me mad because my cousin had managed to get grandfathered in. LOL

Gotcha...that was during my Sprint days lol

I agree, except for the 10GB cap on using your phone as a hotspot.

Have you tried going over it? I haven't been capped lol

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Not since I left Verizon. It's not often that I use my phone as a hotspot, but when I do I use a lot more than 10GB. I have coworkers who've been "deprioritized" and I'm told it's unbearable.

I don't use mine often either but I've been using it just to see when/if the deprioritize me. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me. Things have been very good here🤞🏾 I'm also wondering if they don't deprioritize as much in a large metro area like the do in a less populated place. Where are your coworkers located? The poster in this thread said they're in a small county.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't use mine often either but I've been using it just to see when/if the deprioritize me. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me. Things have been very good here🤞🏾 I'm also wondering if they don't deprioritize as much in a large metro area like the do in a less populated place. Where are your coworkers located? The poster in this thread said they're in a small county.

They're located between Annapolis and Baltimore, so that could be why they're deprioritized. I will be using my phone in the same general area, and that's why I was trying to find the old unlimited data plan. Just out of curiosity where are you located that you've not been deprioritized?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They're located between Annapolis and Baltimore, so that could be why they're deprioritized. I will be using my phone in the same general area, and that's why I was trying to find the old unlimited data plan. Just out of curiosity where are you located that you've not been deprioritized?

I think you mean prioritized. It's not the same as throttling.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Oh ok. I'm in Boston.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Your unlimited data is not throttled or deprioritized once you hit 22GB. If you are using data during peak times AND are on a congested tower then you will be/could be knocked down to the 3G network. Should that happen then, once the congestion is alleviated things go back to normal without waiting for the next billing cycle. Outside of that scenario there will be no impact to service no matter how much data you use. VZ is not automatically limiting data speeds once someone hits 22GB. It's likely someone in a small county will not witness any impact as the towers probably don't really get too congested even during peak times. However, I could see this happening in say NY Metro area.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to point out that I have been "de-prioritized." But in reality, they've throttled me for a week now. I hit 22GB and my speeds have been cut back to 0.8 Mbps. I'm raging over here. There aren't even 20,000 people in the county and I'm being throttled like crazy. Speeds haven't increased a single time.

There is something else going on with your service. You need to give them a call.The plan does not work that way. Even the 3G service is faster than what you are stating.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Your unlimited data is not throttled or deprioritized once you hit 22GB. If you are using data during peak times AND are on a congested tower then you will be/could be knocked down to the 3G network. Should that happen then, once the congestion is alleviated things go back to normal without waiting for the next billing cycle. Outside of that scenario there will be no impact to service no matter how much data you use. VZ is not automatically limiting data speeds once someone hits 22GB. It's likely someone in a small county will not witness any impact as the towers probably don't really get too congested even during peak times. However, I could see this happening in say NY Metro area.

I totally understand all of what you're saying & fully understood when Verizon started offering unlimited again. I'm in Boston and haven't had any slowed speeds whatsoever. I was responding to another poster about what could possibly be going on with their friend's speeds.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I totally understand all of what you're saying & fully understood when Verizon started offering unlimited again. I'm in Boston and haven't had any slowed speeds whatsoever. I was responding to another poster about what could possibly be going on with their friend's speeds.

Understood. Wasn't directing everything at your comments. I Probably should have split the different quotes. Sorry.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Still too expensive for me.... don't need the extra $30 on my bill to do unlimited. Guess we can be using more... maybe sign up for Apple Music ;)

03e4f5e7a2bc959dae784a8b7c1c5670.jpg

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a promo plan... double the data, so my 12gb plan is really 24gb. It's the older "XL" plan I think, before they added rollover. We don't use that much, and going to unlimited would increase our bill by over $30. No thanks.

View attachment 116411

How things change in 4 months. Daughter using more data, so rather than worry about it each month (ever explain to a teenager that she doesn't have any more data and can't snapchat? lol) we just went for the extra. Also means we can stream  Music without watching it so win-win, I hope!