Sell Your Old iPhone For Cash!

What's my iPhone worth?
    The original question was concerning throttling vs prioritizing and how Verizon Unlimited Data plan is using a prioritizing effect instead of throttling. I'm not sure how Sprints unlimited plan works nowadays, but years ago when I had Sprints unlimited plan in NJ, I never had any type of "slow downs" so Sprint could be using the same method. That also makes me wonder why other carriers use throttling.
    All carriers do the same thing -- de-prioritization. Due to your traffic being de-prioritized it makes it slower. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and now Verizon all do this if you are over (X) amount of GB on that line and the tower is being slammed -- once it calms down your speed returns to normal.

The older plans of "Use (X) amount and be throttled 100% of the time" have been undone.
    02-16-2017 01:21 PM
    All carriers do the same thing -- de-prioritization. Due to your traffic being de-prioritized it makes it slower. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and now Verizon all do this if you are over (X) amount of GB on that line and the tower is being slammed -- once it calms down your speed returns to normal.

The older plans of "Use (X) amount and be throttled 100% of the time" have been undone.
    So what your saying is that "Throttling" and "Prioritizing" is the same thing and Verizon just choose to use a different word?
    02-16-2017 01:27 PM
    So what your saying is that "Throttling" and "Prioritizing" is the same thing and Verizon just choose to use a different word?
    In a way yes but mainly when people think of throttling they all think of the old school "Use (X) amount of data and be throttled to 2g the rest of your cycle" -- What Verizon and all of them are doing is de-prioritizing during congestion which basically means their traffic goes first before yours. This could have the potential to cause some speed reduction or it could just maybe take your request a few extra seconds to get through to start loading a webpage (or whatever).

Basically it is like going to a park and you are in the normal line and people pass you because they have the Express Pass. You still get to go on the ride but at a slower rate since you don't have an Express Pass -- or in the case of data you went over their 22 GB limit and the tower is being rocked. Unlike the Express Pass you get to be back on even footing as soon as you get on a less crowded tower (or the one you're on gets less traffic on it).

Hope that helps :P.
    Quis89, robertk328 and DarlaMack like this.
    02-16-2017 01:31 PM
    In a way yes but mainly when people think of throttling they all think of the old school "Use (X) amount of data and be throttled to 2g the rest of your cycle" -- What Verizon and all of them are doing is de-prioritizing during congestion which basically means their traffic goes first before yours. This could have the potential to cause some speed reduction or it could just maybe take your request a few extra seconds to get through to start loading a webpage (or whatever).

Basically it is like going to a park and you are in the normal line and people pass you because they have the Express Pass. You still get to go on the ride but at a slower rate since you don't have an Express Pass -- or in the case of data you went over their 22 GB limit and the tower is being rocked. Unlike the Express Pass you get to be back on even footing as soon as you get on a less crowded tower (or the one you're on gets less traffic on it).

Hope that helps :P.
    Oh I understand that concept. Just curious as to why the other carriers consider using the word "Throttling" vs "Prioritizing" if there one and the same. I was under the impression with the other carriers that once you go over the allotted gb your data services speed will be reduced until the cycle starts again and with Verizon it's more of the standing in line concept.
    02-16-2017 01:39 PM
    Oh I understand that concept. Just curious as to why the other carriers consider using the word "Throttling" vs "Prioritizing" if there one and the same. I was under the impression with the other carriers that once you go over the allotted gb your data services speed will be reduced until the cycle starts again and with Verizon it's more of the standing in line concept.
    They don't -- They used to use the term "Throttle" or "throttling" back in the day but they don't anymore. Verizon is just saying what they all say. I will quote what each carrier says from their fine print.

T-Mobile
    top 3% of data users (>28GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds due to prioritization.
    AT&T
    Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on a line in a bill cycle, AT&T may slow the data on that line during periods of network congestion for the remainder of that cycle.
    Sprint
    Data deprioritization applies during times of congestion
    Verizon
    After 22GB/LINE/MO, we may prioritize your data behind other Verizon customers during network congestion.

As you can see they all say the same thing .
    02-16-2017 01:44 PM
    They don't -- They used to use the term "Throttle" or "throttling" back in the day but they don't anymore. Verizon is just saying what they all say. I will quote what each carrier says from their fine print.

T-Mobile

AT&T

Sprint

Verizon

I see/read. You must admit Verizon has a way of putting it so you think you're getting something better. The word "Prioritize" sounds so eloquent. ❤️
    02-16-2017 01:48 PM
    I see/read. You must admit Verizon has a way of putting it so you think you're getting something better. The word "Prioritize" sounds so eloquent. ❤️
    Haha. Sounds nice but always the same -- I am a fine print reader all day. I always ignore the big letters that scream "DEAL HERE LOOK AT THIS" since the fine print will tell me all I want to know.

That said I am still swapping tomorrow from T-Mobile to Verizon. Pricing wise we will pay the same and I can apply my military discount. We will just gain a free phone for my GF and my friend on my account -- and just gain coverage.
    02-16-2017 01:53 PM

T-Mobile

AT&T

Sprint

Verizon

Put much better than I could have. This is what I meant when I said all carriers are doing the same thing.
    02-16-2017 04:21 PM
    AT&T has been forced to the party! Yay. <3 Competition making unlimited return for all carriers .

AT&T decides to get competitive, expands unlimited plan to everyone | iMore
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-16-2017 04:23 PM
    I was extremely tempted to jump to the Unlimited Data plan, since I have both an iPhone 7 Plus and a Verizon iPad Pro...until I read that Verizon makes you dump your employee discount, which is the only reason I jumped from AT&T (well...the biggest reason anyway) two years ago. The discount by being a General Motors employee (Sales Manager at a GM dealership) saves me 22%...and that's pretty substantial. The 22% saves me more than an Unlimited plan would, at least by my calculations.
    TwitchyPuppy and DarlaMack like this.
    02-16-2017 04:26 PM
    Yep -- That is why you gotta see what works for you. For some it is a steal but for some the older plans work. Just depends .
    Spencerdl and nikkisharif like this.
    02-16-2017 04:32 PM
    AT&T has been forced to the party! Yay. <3 Competition making unlimited return for all carriers .

AT&T decides to get competitive, expands unlimited plan to everyone | iMore
    This is really exciting. I'm interested to see how this year ends for all carriers.
    Almeuit, Spencerdl and nikkisharif like this.
    02-16-2017 05:47 PM
    This is really exciting. I'm interested to see how this year ends for all carriers.
    Very! The only "fail" (that's how I see it) is that AT&T doesn't offer any tether at all whereas the others offer 10 GB per line. Hopefully that changes for the customers.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    02-16-2017 05:57 PM
    I will be swapping from T-Mobile to Verizon tomorrow .
    I did an totally happy with my decision.
    Spencerdl and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    02-16-2017 05:57 PM
    Very! The only "fail" (that's how I see it) is that AT&T doesn't offer any tether at all whereas the others offer 10 GB per line. Hopefully that changes for the customers.
    Agreed...but if I'm reading this correctly they DO offer corporate discounts. Which Verizon doesn't. I don't believe T Mobile does either. That's a pretty nice advantage from a pricing perspective.
    Almeuit, nikkisharif and DarlaMack like this.
    02-16-2017 06:04 PM
    Agreed...but if I'm reading this correctly they DO offer corporate discounts. Which Verizon doesn't. I don't believe T Mobile does either. That's a pretty nice advantage from a pricing perspective.
    Ah -- very good point that I didn't think about. Also you're correct on the Verizon / T-Mobile not allowing discounts on their unlimited plans. Verizon only allows Military ones but no corporate.
    02-16-2017 06:14 PM
    Ah -- very good point that I didn't think about. Also you're correct on the Verizon / T-Mobile not allowing discounts on their unlimited plans. Verizon only allows Military ones but no corporate.
    Yes, Verizon offers discounts for Military and also Police and Fire Depts Only on their Unlimited data plans
    Last edited by Spencerdl; 02-16-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    02-16-2017 06:35 PM
    They don't. But, it's only an issue with the lower plans. I had the 16 GB plan. After my discount, made it $72.90 a month for my data. It would only have been an issue with 8 or lower.
    02-16-2017 06:36 PM
    Yes, Verizon offers discounts for Military and also Police and Fire Depts Only on their Unlimited data plans
    Yep. I will apply my military one when I swap .
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    02-16-2017 06:48 PM
    Yep. I will apply my military one when I swap .
    Yes I already did. It's 15% off for the Military discount.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    02-16-2017 06:49 PM
    They don't. But, it's only an issue with the lower plans. I had the 16 GB plan. After my discount, made it $72.90 a month for my data. It would only have been an issue with 8 or lower.
    Makes sense. If Verizon ever decides to open the gates for corporate discounts and my 18% applies I'd be the happiest customer ever lol. One can dream.
    nikkisharif and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    02-16-2017 06:50 PM

T-Mobile

AT&T

Sprint

Verizon

I'm going to disagree with you on the "tethering" vs. "deprioritization." Throttling, when the term is used, typically refers to a permanent reduction in speed. For example, on some Verizon prepaid plans now they "throttle" after the high speed data is used, your speeds are limited to 128 Kbps. T-Mobile throttles on their Simple Choice post-paid plans after the high speed data allowance is used, and also their free data in other countries.

Cricket is another interesting one; AT&T "throttles" Cricket users to 8 Mbps LTE speeds (4 Mbps HPSA+ speeds) -- though Cricket users will argue that it isn't throttling. Then, Cricket will throttle further after that "high" speed data allowance is used, down to (I believe) 256 Kbps.

By contrast, deprioritization isn't intentionally slowing your data, as in the examples above, it is merely letting others "cut the line" when they send data; much like how airlines let First Class passengers board first. In fact -- at least with some carriers -- I suspect the Unlimited users that have gone over the unlimited "data limit" keep their lower priority until the end of their month, just that most of the time the lower priority doesn't make a difference.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-16-2017 10:39 PM
    I just looked might actually use less than 25 gig this month; which for me is a abnormality though but proves I might be able to work with this.

Really thinking about ditching my grandfathered unlimited for this. No way for this on a single line it would be more than the $240 I pay a month currently.
    I gave up my grandfathered unlimited & switched to this. I will be saving nearly $100/month. I typically use 25gb/month but live in a rural area. So, I'm not worried about network congestion. Plus, I switched my Verizon home phone that I use for an office phone, to a cell phone plan. I now have 22gb (before throttle) on each line. I'm also adding my parents to my acct. & it will save them approx. $75/month.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-17-2017 01:13 AM
    Can you confirm the police and fire?
    02-17-2017 03:28 AM
    Thanks for the explanations on prioritization, etc., @Almeuit !
    Almeuit likes this.
    02-17-2017 06:07 AM
563 ... 910111213 ...