• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

With my ios 10 update, my alarm works, but it won't play a song as my alarm any more?

I

iMore Question

When the alarm would go off before the update, a selected song would play. Now, it will not play the selected song as my alarm sound.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Initiate the native Clock app.
2. Select the alarm clock option.
3. Select "Edit"
4. Select the alarm time.
5. Select "Sound"
6. Scroll up and then select "Pick a song".

it should be self-explanatory from this point forward.

sshock

Nov 2, 2018
Visit site
Re: With my ios 10 update, my alarm work but it won't play a song as my alarm any more?

I definitely just troubleshooted (troubleshot...? Troubleshot...ed..?) this problem, since I’m having it too; here’s what I did:
1. Deleted all my alarms (I have a sleeping disorder so I had 8 alarms set)
2. Created a single alarm to go off in a few minutes, with an alarm sound that came with the phone
3. The alarm went off and played the selected tone. Once that worked fine, I tried using an itunes song instead, doing the same process of setting the alarm a few minutes from said moment. It did not work. The alarm played that stupid default tone.
4. I realized I needed to update my phone. Maybe that would help? Did that.
5. Did steps 2 and 3 again upon restart, with no new success.

So in conclusion, the alarms I set just play the default tone, which I hate with a burning passion; I guess I’m calling it quits on iphone alarms until someone finds a solution :/

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Happens to me too all the time.
Just make sure that you create a playlist with the songs for Alarm in it and download those songs for offline listening.

The alarm won’t sound the music if it isn’t stored locally on the iPhone.

Schwa63

Nov 3, 2018
Visit site
Thank you!!

Happens to me too all the time.
Just make sure that you create a playlist with the songs for Alarm in it and download those songs for offline listening.

The alarm won’t sound the music if it isn’t stored locally on the iPhone.

samimauldin

Nov 15, 2018
Visit site
Okay the same thing happened to me and i don’t know if it’s a glitch or something but i went to the song that i wanted on my music app and made sure it was downloaded into my library. not just added to it but downloaded and now it works.